Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barrier busting in the hood.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    What's that Templar use to say?

Oh yeah; "7.62x39mm turning cover into concealment since 1947 . . . "

OP, ever thought of just going with a Kalashnikov as your primary home defense/shtf rifle?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post

OP, ever thought of just going with a Kalashnikov as your primary home defense/shtf rifle?
    He said in the OP he doesn't want to carry an AK if he can help it.

I don't blame him, I'd rather have an AR too.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    He said in the OP he doesn't want to carry an AK if he can help it.

I don't blame him, I'd rather have an AR too.
    Well shit I missed that part . . .
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I agree with x39 being good option. With strides being made in ARs chambered in 7.62x39 (CMMG...but it is CMMG), new rifles coming to US market with better ergo's than AK (Bren 805 PS1 in x39 & IWI/Galil Ace), 762x39 is looking more appealing. I have 12.5" & 11.5" SBRd AR's and a SBRd Draco, and would be happy with any one of them if SHTF... I do like idea of folding stock on Draco for certain hypothetical/perceived scenarios.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    I agree with x39 being good option. With strides being made in ARs chambered in 7.62x39 (CMMG...but it is CMMG), new rifles coming to US market with better ergo's than AK (Bren 805 PS1 in x39 & IWI/Galil Ace), 762x39 is looking more appealing. I have 12.5" & 11.5" SBRd AR's and a SBRd Draco, and would be happy with any one of them if SHTF... I do like idea of folding stock on Draco for certain hypothetical/perceived scenarios.
    I have converted all my standard stock AK's to side folders, I find them advantageous for concealment and inside vehicles.

Would love to see CZ 805 Brens state side, do they have a 7.62x39 conversion? I've only seen pics online in NATO 5.56 w/STANAG mags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have converted all my standard stock AK's to side folders, I find them advantageous for concealment and inside vehicles.

Would love to see CZ 805 Brens state side, do they have a 7.62x39 conversion? I've only seen pics online in NATO 5.56 w/STANAG mags.
    I should say that I'm by no means familiar with all things Bren, but have seen a couple things that have mentioned a 7.62x39 setup. I certainly hope they will be offered to US market. Too much $ to be made not to.
    http://world.guns.ru/assault/chex/cz-05-e.html. From link:
    The CZ 805 assault rifle is of modular, multi-caliber design, with aluminum alloy upper receiver and polymer lower receiver / fire control unit. The magazine housing is a separate detachable unit, which can be replaced in the field in the course of caliber change. CZ 805 also features quick-change barrels, allowing to change calibers and barrel lengths according to the mission profile (in each caliber there there are short carbine barrel, standard barrel and long "marksman" or "squad automatic" barrel). The basic action uses fairy common piston-operated gas action with manual gas regulator, and a rotating bolt locking. For each proposed caliber, there is a separate bolt with appropriate dimensions.
    Fire control unit includes ambidextrous safety / fire selector switch, which permits single shots, 2-round bursts and full automatic fire. Charging handle can be installed on either side of the gun, depending on user preferences.
    Feed is from detachable box magazines, which are inserted into detachable magazine housing. In standard configuration, the CZ 805 will use proprietary 5.56x45 caliber 30-round magazines made of translucent polymer. Other magazine housings will allow use of STANAG or HK G36 5.56mm magazines, as well as various 7.62x39 and 6.8x43 magazines.
    And in I think someone mentions it in the Bren thread here. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...S1-Bren-Pistol
    Last edited by lunchbox; 12-18-14 at 04:10.
    ^^ Read with southern accent !^^ and blame all grammatical errors on Alabama's public school system.
    Technique is nothing more than failed style. Cecil B DeMented
    "If you can't eat it or hump it, piss on it and walk away."-Dog
    Go where the food is.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have considered the 7.62x39mm AR based rifle and have been doing a lot of shooting with two different rifles, a 14.5" pinned C/L pencil profile and a 16" Melonite QPQ H-Bar. Both work with modified 20rd ASC magazines 100% of the time but have issues with the 30rd versions with follower bind. Now I don't mind limiting my self with a simple to modify 20rd magazine but I'm still concerned with Bolt life, The current Bolts I'm using are the Radical Firearms Shot peened, MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected), 9310 Tool Steel Melonite QPQ bolt and a Alpha Shooting Sports 9310 shot peened MPI phosphate finish bolt. I'll be putting at least 2000rds through each and keeping a log so from time to time I will update my results.

As too shooting heavier 5.56 bullets I might be interested if someone made a 70+ grain FMJ I could hand load.
    We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by PA PATRIOT View Post
    I have considered the 7.62x39mm AR based rifle and have been doing a lot of shooting with two different rifles, a 14.5" pinned C/L pencil profile and a 16" Melonite QPQ H-Bar. Both work with modified 20rd ASC magazines 100% of the time but have issues with the 30rd versions with follower bind. Now I don't mind limiting my self with a simple to modify 20rd magazine but I'm still concerned with Bolt life, The current Bolts I'm using are the Radical Firearms Shot peened, MPI (Magnetic Particle Inspected), 9310 Tool Steel Melonite QPQ bolt and a Alpha Shooting Sports 9310 shot peened MPI phosphate finish bolt. I'll be putting at least 2000rds through each and keeping a log so from time to time I will update my results.

As too shooting heavier 5.56 bullets I might be interested if someone made a 70+ grain FMJ I could hand load.
    You should be concerned about bolt life. Can't change the laws of physics so an 7.62x39 ar bolt will on average always have a shorter lifespan than a 5.56 bolt. High cycle fatigue is a function of average stress. By increasing the diameter of the material removed from the bolt face by nearly 2mm you're significantly driving up the average stress the bolt sees. Small changes in average stress can lead to significant reductions in component life span.

Feedback Score
    Another thought is that "bugging in", where you try to stay in your home and survive (causing the op to have to shoot through "several of the mentioned barrier/cover items less then 50yds down range") isn't the best option.

It's pretty easy to burn out someone seeking refuge in a structure, so if the S really HTF, loading your vehicle up and getting out of dodge to a safer place seems the better idea.

Therefore I'd say it's a bit unrealistic to worry too much about penetrating barriers.
    Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (519 BC – 430 BC) Power should only be given to those that want it least.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M&P15T View Post
    Another thought is that "bugging in", where you try to stay in your home and survive (causing the op to have to shoot through "several of the mentioned barrier/cover items less then 50yds down range") isn't the best option.

It's pretty easy to burn out someone seeking refuge in a structure, so if the S really HTF, loading your vehicle up and getting out of dodge to a safer place seems the better idea.

Therefore I'd say it's a bit unrealistic to worry too much about penetrating barriers.
    That totally depends on the situation and your specifics.

Loading up the BOV and hitting the road could lead to you getting stuck in traffic, broken down, roads/passages blocked, attacked, disabled in an accident/collision, or any other number of things. Meanwhile 99% of your supplies are back home, you're running out of gas, it is far too hot (or cold) outside, you have nowhere to go, and your infant/toddler (or more) is having a fit in the backseat.

Besides, if the S really HTF, to the point where you are going to be burned out of your own home, do you really think you will be guaranteed safe and easy passage/escape out of the area and to an unaffected area without the possibility of having to defend yourself/your family on the road (think of all those vehicles and other barriers), at stopping points along the way, or at your destination?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast