Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: HK VP9 Issue

Feedback Score
    Your photo is not in very good so it's hard to tell what you're talking about.

I wouldn't worry too much about scrapes on the bullet or brass from feeding. It's really not a big deal.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Your photo is not in very good so it's hard to tell what you're talking about.

I wouldn't worry too much about scrapes on the bullet or brass from feeding. It's really not a big deal.
    I'm not worried about scrapes either. Look at the differences in marks just above the rim.....
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I see them, but to be honest still wouldn't worry too much about them. Unless you're seeing major deformation or denting of the case that could lead to malfunction. The cartridge you subjected the auto forwarding to 3 times of course shows more abrasion marks, but none likely to cause issues.

I suppose you could check the inside of the pistol for brass shavings to see where the rough spot is.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 12-29-14 at 00:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It would probably be worth while to measure the difference in cartridge OAL with a set of calipers after the auto-forwarding. That would be the real way to know if there's some problem.

Feedback Score
    Not a bad idea. Compare bullet set back, if any, to rounds chambered normally as a control, vs those fed when the slide auto forwards. Compare bother to COAL for an unchambered round.

This is also potentially useful to measure a round over multiple chamberings as you might subject a single round to with a lot of administrative handling of the pistol; where the same round is always the one fed from the magazine.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I don't understand this auto forward issue. "Something hinkey" is not going on you just aren't suppose to smash the bottom of the magazine numerous times to try and unseat the slide stop. You see this auto forward in most polymer pistols because of the design. You don't see this in 1911's as much because of the way the 7 round magazine seats in the front of the magwell. Smash the bottom of a magazine on an AR with an open bolt and see what happens. I don't see the marks as an issue since under normal shooting you wouldn't hit the magazine multiple times to send the slide forward. Stop hitting the magazine on a loaded gun and go shooting instead.

As for the OAL of the round on admin reloads. We teach at work never to rechamber the same round, but rotate it down into the magazine. I see it mostly as a serious issue with AR's getting admin loaded more often than the service pistol. David
    Last edited by dwhitehorne; 12-29-14 at 06:50.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    My point wasn't to show bullet set back it was to show that there IS DEFINITELY a difference between a proper reload using the slide stop and an auto forward. I am not an engineer or an HK armorer so I am only pointing out an observation. It seems that some think that this auto forward thing is a non issue but I'm telling you that it's not something to rely on when bullets are coming the other way.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What is the problem? I don't get it. If it auto forwards and loads a round into the chamber and that round goes bang when the shooter pulls the trigger it is an absolute non issue until that shooter experiences a time when it doesn't.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    All guns CAN auto forward. Some will do it more than others. Just saw a customer auto forward a 10mm Colt 1911.

Magazine insertion is a finesse drill (not a hammer drill).

The sky is blue and water is wet. Nothing new here.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrenaline_6 View Post
    What is the problem? I don't get it. If it auto forwards and loads a round into the chamber and that round goes bang when the shooter pulls the trigger it is an absolute non issue until that shooter experiences a time when it doesn't.
    The problem is that it is NEVER a 100% deal. Some guns will chamber a FMJ, but not a HP and vice versa. So people should NOT view it as a reliable way to chamber a round.

C4

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast