Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10.5" Bolt of base malfunctions

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Good God. It's amazing the gun didn't blow up. Dump that crap and try some good ammo.
    I was under the impression the Independence ammo was just imported IMI? It's loaded a tad hot, but other than that I've always had good luck with it. I've only used the IMI 62gr M855ish round though, so the 55gr may be a different story?
    Director of Business Development - Unity Tactical, LLC - Design and Validation for the tactical community.
    www.unitytactical.com / www.facebook.com/unitytacticalllc

Feedback Score
    Bubba 04,
    A can ups cyclic rate. One possibility is your gun with increased bolt velocity, is now outrunning you mags ability to feed it. I am an ammo guy, not a gun guy and do not claim to be, but we do lots of shooting here. Jeff
    Jeff Hoffman
    Black Hills Ammunition

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    I was under the impression the Independence ammo was just imported IMI? It's loaded a tad hot, but other than that I've always had good luck with it. I've only used the IMI 62gr M855ish round though, so the 55gr may be a different story?
    I would be interested in the difference. I shoot the hell out of IMI XM193 and have had great results with it.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sierraeight View Post
    Bubba 04,
    A can ups cyclic rate. One possibility is your gun with increased bolt velocity, is now outrunning you mags ability to feed it. I am an ammo guy, not a gun guy and do not claim to be, but we do lots of shooting here. Jeff
    Jeff, Thanks for the comments. Thats was my thinking is what was happening. I know he didnt have the issue unsuppressed.

I had that issue on my 308 gas gun shooting suppressed when shooting hotter loads. Once I changed out my buffer system on my LMT308 all problems went away.

I am going to install the A5 buffer tube with heavier buffer and see how his rifle runs for him. Especially since he plans to shoot it mostly suppresed.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    It's spec'd by ATK from Israel. Loaded to Proof levels of pressure in some cases. Ridiculous ammo. And reliable industry sources have told me that ATK/Federal isn't taking full responsibility for the guns this ammo is destroying.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It's spec'd by ATK from Israel. Loaded to Proof levels of pressure in some cases. Ridiculous ammo. And reliable industry sources have told me that ATK/Federal isn't taking full responsibility for the guns this ammo is destroying.
    Ok so it is different to Imi then?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba04 View Post
    Ok so it is different to Imi then?
    I think so. There's really a lot of BAD ammo that's come out of Israel. Most of the IMI branded stuff seems to be good. But I've pulled down some crazy sketchy crap that was given to me by a member here.

I'll never understand why they try to load 55 gr to full blown M193 velocities. The crap would sell much better, run better, and enjoy a good reputation if they kept the pressure levels in the sane realm. They've left no margin for error on the top side by loading this stuff this hot. Ridiculous.

Like I've posted several times. I bought a box to test from Cabelas. Fired 5 rounds over the chrono and slammed on the brakes after that. The ammo was stupid hot. Pulled the rest down to use the components for something else.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I had some I believe American brand ammo a few years ago that was supposed to be IMI spec or related to IMI in some way. It was supposed to duplicate IMI blue tip 9mm. The first box in the case had squibs that destroyed my can and bulged the barrel on the UZI. The dealer worked with AAC to replace the can but IDK if the ammo manufacturer got involved or not. Lesson learned: only reputable factory or my own hand loads after that.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bubba04 View Post
    Buddy has a LMT 10.5" upper with BCM BCG. Currently runs the gun suppressed. When suppressed he is periodically experiencing bolt over base malfunctions. Gun is currently running an H3 buffer with standard spring.

My thoughts was to go to the A5 system and run the heavier A5 buffer. Question is with the LMTMWS buffer tube work as the buffer tube? I remember reading the MWS buffer tube was the same length as the A5, but wanted to confirm.

Also are the general thoughts that this will be a solution.
    OP,

As others have stated, the problem is likely ammo related. Based on info you have given, the symptom you are experiencing is likely from the BCG outrunning the magazine follower. Independence ammo is hot. I believe there was a post here, or on TOS, of someone who blew up an AR with it. There was another member on TOS who broke his Sharps Relia-bolt in relatively few rounds (admittedly with the overgassed DD mk18) with... you guessed it... Independence Ammo. I've bumped into enough anecdotal evidence, plus Markm's feedback, to steer clear of the stuff.

To answer your initial question; yes The LMT MWS buffer tube aka receiver extension, should be the same length as the Vltor A5 tube/extension and work on an AR15 with a Vltor A5 buffer and rifle spring combo. If you switch ammo, you may not need it, but A5s usually help and never hurt, so it may be a worth while upgrade.
    Last edited by elephantrider; 12-19-14 at 07:43.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Iirc, independence is super hot, and inconsistent, which is a bad combo... or maybe it was consistent. .. blowing primers often?
    It's the only ammo that has shown consistent pressure signs in my 18" 5.56 NATO chambered barrel with rifle length gas system, SLR Rifleworks AGB, Vltor A5 system, and LMT enhanced carrier.

I can only imagine what the hell it is doing in virtually every other upper out there.

My primers are ultra flat and flowing into the FP hole slightly. WTF!?!
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast