Thread: 5.56mm 70gr TSX (aka "Brown Tip") and a 20" barrel

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    anybody using cfe with the tsx

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fz1boxer View Post
    anybody using cfe with the tsx
    I have some of the new IMR4166 loaded up with the 70gr TSX's. This powder is insensitive to temp changes AND has the copper fouling reducer. It sucks to work with, but if you're only loading a few rounds for hunting, it's not too bad. I still haven't tested any of it yet though.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'm a fan of the 70gr GMX. GMX= gilding metal eXpanding. No fouling issues for me.

Abnak, my handy rifle has an 18" barrel with rifle gas and it is simply a pleasure to shoot. My thinking was similar to yours; maximizing terminal effects as opposed to all-out accuracy.

Haven't used the 70gr in anger yet, but the 55gr GMX is a nasty little pill through laminate auto glass. Think TBBC levels of nasty. It's extremely underrated IMHO.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I'm a fan of the 70gr GMX. GMX= gilding metal eXpanding. No fouling issues for me.
    Interesting, I may have to give those a try. Sounds like a very similar bullet to the Barnes, but will not foul nearly as much due to the gilding metal jacket. Have you tested it for expansion? Pics?

edit: I just googled it. It looks like a very promising replacement. About the same price as the 70gr TSX.
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 12-23-14 at 10:18.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    Interesting, I may have to give those a try. Sounds like a very similar bullet to the Barnes, but will not foul nearly as much due to the gilding metal jacket. Have you tested it for expansion? Pics?

edit: I just googled it. It looks like a very promising replacement. About the same price as the 70gr TSX.
    Exactly. You can find the TAP version as loaded ammo for around $25 if you look hard. Hornady stopped making it for a while, during the shortage.

I haven't used it on hog yet, but it should by all indicators be a formidable round. Also, for defensive use.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    This is a monolithic gilding metal bullet. Not jacketed.... interesting.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    From my understanding, the zinc increases the lubricity.
    Because it's harder. It's kinda like over annealing a rifle case neck. If you burn off the zinc by getting the neck glowing red hot, the remaining copper neck is too soft, and the case is pretty much ruined.

(I have no idea why anyone wants to mess with these copper schmearing bullets... the GMX sounds better, but...??)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Because it's harder. It's kinda like over annealing a rifle case neck. If you burn off the zinc by getting the neck glowing red hot, the remaining copper neck is too soft, and the case is pretty much ruined.

(I have no idea why anyone wants to mess with these copper schmearing bullets... the GMX sounds better, but...??)
    When you see how well the 70gr TSX has performed on some ridiculously large feral hog and other animals, you start to understand why.

I agree that the GMX is progress, but the 70gr TSX has earned its reputation several times over in private hunting, much less as the Brown Tip in combat.

EDIT: See SkyPup's thread here. https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=94628
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 12-23-14 at 11:30.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    Exactly. You can find the TAP version as loaded ammo for around $25 if you look hard. Hornady stopped making it for a while, during the shortage.

I haven't used it on hog yet, but it should by all indicators be a formidable round. Also, for defensive use.
    Is the GMX loaded by Hornady to 5.56 pressures or .223?
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Is the GMX loaded by Hornady to 5.56 pressures or .223?
    I know they have or had 5.56.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/ri...mx-tap-barrier

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast