Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DDM4V11 Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bowietx View Post
    What was the functional issue that you were experiencing? The Geissele swap is a must on this rifle, everything else is too good not to go with a better trigger. Someone once warned me that once you have experienced a Geissele, your wallet will experience many. In addition to the lightweight of this rifle, there is also great balance and it has become one of my favorites. Great post.
    Something was out of alignment in the upper receiver and the result was that the charging handle dug a groove into the top of the receiver after only a couple of dozen cycles. It was more than cosmetic. DD agreed based on pictures that I submitted and directed me to return it. I also mentioned several anodizing failures on the exterior of the lower, hoping they might be able to touch them up while it was in. Instead, they replaced the entire rifle, transferring my Geissele to the new V11.

This was my first DD and I have got to say they have made me a fan for life. Their customer service is fantastic.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just had my first, longer bit of range time with my V11. Everything I expected and anticipated from DD, and the research I've done (including plenty of reading here). Quite a step up in quality and performance from the lower-end AR I had been playing with for the past 18 months.

For me, I don't necessarily see or feel some of the things many of you point out (regarding trigger, for example), but I'm not vastly experienced like so many of you are. I appreciate all of the comments, and read intently. The light weight was a key point for me, as I just don't plan on hanging a lot of equipment on the rail. But, again, that's my purpose, and I know that many others have different priorities when it comes to your rifles.

It did get to the point where I had to throw on a glove after about 120 rounds, but those all came fairly quickly. After a short break to watch my wife shoot her G19, it was cool enough again to go gloveless. If I just shot methodically, it didn't really get too hot, honestly.

I've been reading about the handstops and rail pads out there, and will likely be investing in something. Especially since I'm working on teaching myself to move towards a c-grip.

Overall, I shot about 700 rounds today, not one hiccup. Definitely made a good choice upgrading to DD. Very pleased, and a shout out to this fine forum for all of the insight and education I got by lurking and reading over the past 1.5 months.

Edit....I was remiss in noting that the recoil impulse is dramatically different than my lower-end carbine system. At least, it was for me. Felt like less kick-rise and more of a slight push. Felt easier to get back on target quickly when not shooting from bench. Maybe I was just looking for that after reading it more than once, but will likely shoot both ARs this week to really feel the differences.
    Last edited by CatSnipah; 12-21-14 at 15:01.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Something was out of alignment in the upper receiver and the result was that the charging handle dug a groove into the top of the receiver after only a couple of dozen cycles. It was more than cosmetic. DD agreed based on pictures that I submitted and directed me to return it. I also mentioned several anodizing failures on the exterior of the lower, hoping they might be able to touch them up while it was in. Instead, they replaced the entire rifle, transferring my Geissele to the new V11.

This was my first DD and I have got to say they have made me a fan for life. Their customer service is fantastic.

Wow, that is outstanding customer service, I have heard nothing but good things about them, but that is a whole new level. Which model of Geissele did you go with?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CatSnipah View Post
    Just had my first, longer bit of range time with my V11. Everything I expected and anticipated from DD, and the research I've done (including plenty of reading here). Quite a step up in quality and performance from the lower-end AR I had been playing with for the past 18 months.

For me, I don't necessarily see or feel some of the things many of you point out (regarding trigger, for example), but I'm not vastly experienced like so many of you are. I appreciate all of the comments, and read intently. The light weight was a key point for me, as I just don't plan on hanging a lot of equipment on the rail. But, again, that's my purpose, and I know that many others have different priorities when it comes to your rifles.

It did get to the point where I had to throw on a glove after about 120 rounds, but those all came fairly quickly. After a short break to watch my wife shoot her G19, it was cool enough again to go gloveless. If I just shot methodically, it didn't really get too hot, honestly.

I've been reading about the handstops and rail pads out there, and will likely be investing in something. Especially since I'm working on teaching myself to move towards a c-grip.

Overall, I shot about 700 rounds today, not one hiccup. Definitely made a good choice upgrading to DD. Very pleased, and a shout out to this fine forum for all of the insight and education I got by lurking and reading over the past 1.5 months.

Edit....I was remiss in noting that the recoil impulse is dramatically different than my lower-end carbine system. At least, it was for me. Felt like less kick-rise and more of a slight push. Felt easier to get back on target quickly when not shooting from bench. Maybe I was just looking for that after reading it more than once, but will likely shoot both ARs this week to really feel the differences.

Awesome, glad to hear about your purchase and you will only grow to appreciate the rifle all the more as you move forward with experience and time behind multiple guns. The recoil impulse of this rifle for whatever reason feels just a tad softer than my other middies, but it no doubt is a smooth shooter. Keep up the great work and schedule a class for the upcoming year, the V11 would be a great rifle for such a pursuit. Look forward to hearing your thoughts as you go forward.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Awesome, glad to hear about your purchase and you will only grow to appreciate the rifle all the more as you move forward with experience and time behind multiple guns. The recoil impulse of this rifle for whatever reason feels just a tad softer than my other middies, but it no doubt is a smooth shooter. Keep up the great work and schedule a class for the upcoming year, the V11 would be a great rifle for such a pursuit. Look forward to hearing your thoughts as you go forward.
    Thanks! Yes, I upgraded now with the intention of doing some training in 2015. Wanted time to break it in, get used to it, get additional gear I will need, etc. I took my first formal defensive pistol class just before Turkey Day, now I'm hooked on formalized training.

I plan to do an Appleseed late Feb, then one or two more carbine-specific classes next year, time permitting. I will be pushing my visa stay limit in Brazil next year, leading a couple of big projects for my division, so time might be tight, on occasion.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post

Glad they treated you well. Makes me feel even better about choosing DD.

Feedback Score
    Wow, that is outstanding customer service, I have heard nothing but good things about them, but that is a whole new level. Which model of Geissele did you go with?
    Super Tricon, which is really just an SSA with a different trigger bow. I have an SSA in a different AR and love it, but wanted to try something different in the SSA line for the V11.

The ST bow flattens out from the middle to the bottom, but still maintains a curve at the top, which helps me index really quickly and consistently to the same spot mid-bow when under pressure, but also slide down and shoot comfortably from the bottom for a distance shot. Thus, it's sort of a hybrid between the SSA bow and the completely flat (and wider) SD-C bow.

The SSA-E is a bit lighter and definitely better for distance, but I like the added safety margin the SSA provides for non-scoped ARs.

Feedback Score
    I have put around 300 rnd through my V11. Love it. I just have MBUS pro iron sights on it. Mine came with the new DD magazine which was actually pretty good (For the limited number of rounds put through it which was 30). I would get more but the $20 price tag is too much. I was running some PMAGs and got a few STANAG mags.

What are good rail sections for the handgaurd, as I will be mounting a flashlight and a bipod later?

The trigger is a tad tight, but the reset is nice. Actually reminds me of my old wgp autococker's (yes moderators that is its real name) trigger (but a little bit heavier) when I was still able to play paintball.

Feedback Score
    There are some nice direct attach keymod light mounts out, as for rails I like the arisaka low profile rail sections.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123