Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question on the HK MR556

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've gotten more used to it. When I first got the gun I really hated it to the point that I was ready to sell the gun without even shooting it if I could not replace the pins.

All of my other ARs have standard AR pins and I have never had an issue with looseness between the upper and lower receiver. I have 2 HK416 uppers that I run on a Colt lower using the Colt standard pins without any problems.

It's one thing to need the tool to apply pressure to pop the pin out, but it is a huge annoyance to have to use the tool to apply pressure on the face of the pin to depress the detent while pushing the pin the other way to get the pin back in.

I like to be able to pop the upper and lower apart to remove the bolt carrier to oil it without this much hassle. I should probably start a separate thread on my once-fired MR762, but right now I don't have the time or the enthusiasm.
    Last edited by Ed L.; 12-17-14 at 00:36.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed L. View Post
    I should probably start a separate thread on my once-fired MR762, but right now I don't have the time or the enthusiasm.
    That would be appreciated.
    "A 'sporting purpose' is what we use to describe actions taken with a football." -S.W.A.T. Magazine

"...if you are cruising the ghetto looking for crack and tranny hookers and you shoot their transgender pimp for staring at you the wrong way, then yeah, you might have a problem." -Iraqgunz

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It's one thing to need the tool to apply pressure to pop the pin out, but it is a huge annoyance to have to use the tool to apply pressure on the face of the pin to depress the detent while pushing the pin the other way to get the pin back in.
    That "is" the trickiest part of the process as it seems you've learned. You can push it into the lower partially without the tool to get it started then complete the process by using the tool, or a cartridge, which is my preferred method.

Feedback Score
    but it is a huge annoyance to have to use the tool to apply pressure on the face of the pin to depress the detent while pushing the pin the other way to get the pin back in.
    I do this that way:

1. Push pin from right side in, it will move in enough to engage upper, so you not not worry about it coming loose.
    2. While still pushing pin from right side insert "tool" (more on that below) from left side and push it just enough to release tension on detent ball.
    3. Since force needed to relese detent is not big, pin will just "jump" in place under pressure from right side.
    4. Profit

Regarding "tool". Need of "special tool" is more annoying for MR762 users than for MR556. Later ones usually have lot of "special tools" around their MR556 rifles. This "special tool" is .... 5.56x45 round

(tested with 55gr and heavier bullets, I do not know if 40gr are not too short).

MR762 users can always attach Magpul 5.56 dummy round to their car keys to have it handy
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Montrala has been very helpful here and on another forum. I'm having some neck problems, which will indefinitely delay any plans I had of shooting the MR762 or taking it to the gunsmith to have the pins switched out.

Feedback Score
    I replaced HK pins in my MR223 with BAD-EPS pins (very good product in any case), just to go back to HK pins in week or two. I'm just that spoiled how tight HK pins keep things together. Of course my main use for my HK is competition (3Gun and IPSC rifle).

BTW Replacing pins is a 5 min job, that does not require visit to gunsmith. When I was changing my pins, I found very good instructions on Youtube. Basically you need 2 sets of pins (old one and new one) plus very small, flat screwdriver. I believe, I described procedure on HKPro recently.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    thanks for the info guys. I put a deposit on one and won't be messing with it since the carrier is good the way it is. Wish there was;t so much BAD information out there.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Congrats, I predict you will enjoy the rifle. Please post a range report when you get her dialed in.....

Feedback Score
    I will and I would like to get a scope for it. the range is only 200 yards long where I go, if that helps and what do guys use most for that distance? There are benches and I have a sand bag. What kind of ammo shoots best groups? I don't want to buy a bunch of it, just want to see how good it shots. the rest of the time I'll just shoot at the plates they have hanging on the swing

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Question on the HK MR556

Quote Originally Posted by July Johnson View Post
    I will and I would like to get a scope for it. the range is only 200 yards long where I go, if that helps and what do guys use most for that distance? There are benches and I have a sand bag. What kind of ammo shoots best groups? I don't want to buy a bunch of it, just want to see how good it shots. the rest of the time I'll just shoot at the plates they have hanging on the swing
    For 200 this is what I use......I shoot my own hand loads, the rifle doesn't seem to have an ammo preference as I've shot 40gr - 77gr quite accurately. Federal and Black Hills are two well respected OTC options.

(Leupold VX-R Patrol Diredot 1.?x - 4x)

Last edited by HKGuns; 01-04-15 at 07:33.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12