Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bravo Barrels - SS410 vs BFH - Objective Measures?

Feedback Score
    69 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JG007 View Post
    There was a great thread I couldn't find by a guy using a ss barrel for duty in the mid east, but this was also good

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-a-Duty-Weapon
    I think you're thinking about M4 Guru. He was very big on the Noveske SS barrels at one time and used them downrange.

Feedback Score
    I am holding out for a BCM BFH ELW in both 16" and 14.5" hopefully not too much longer...........for my intents and purposes these are my "ultimate" barrels.
    It is legal to hunt, kill, and eat porcupines, armadillos and badgers in Texas.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by constructor View Post
    This may not be exactly what you are looking for.
    In 2010 I think, I was looking for a different barrel to use in a premium line of uppers. I ordered 12 different brands of barrels and tested each for accuracy using M193 and Black Hills 69gr ammo. Of course most shot the 69gr better compared to each other. Shooting the m193 between all of the barrels was unreal. A few barrels would shoot the M193 near 3/4" off the bench while others were 3-4" at 100 yds. The BCM 410 barrel I found out later was made by Criterion, at that time a division of Krieger. It was by far the most accurate with both brands of ammo. I borescoped all of the barrels, only the BCM was lapped. I checked the muzzles to find out all of them EXCEPT the 410 BCM was larger than spec. A .219" inspection pin would slide in the bore and stop right where the 1/2" threads on the muzzle stopped.
    IMO if I wanted accuracy I would go with the 410SS barrel.
    Thanks for your input, I've seen much of the same (or similar). A lot of manufacturers have put out items that are below what I would call acceptable. I've had good success with Krieger variations and Lilja 3 groove barrel blanks properly fitted for their consistency. Many others are "all over the place". If a "match" barrel is needed, I tend to fall back on those.
    I would tend to say that the far majority of AR-15 shooters would be better served with a lighter profile CHF-CL barrel barrel than a "match" one though.

Feedback Score
    Op, for question2, I'd say given good manf. CL gives about 1.15 to 1.2 moa. Ss gives .75 to .8 moa. Both these are with match ammo and 10-shot groups.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 12-16-14 at 07:48.

Feedback Score
    I have a Douglas ss barrel, debating doing a build vs just flipping it and doing a noveske or bcm ss complete uppe

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Hell, I have a 16" 1/9 chrome lined barrel that will put my 77gr handloads in .75moa @ 100yds. Any further, I don't know... but I was thoroughly impressed.

Feedback Score
    Mark hit the spot, when you notice degradation to the point it bothers you on any barrel spend a few bucks and replace it. I believe it will take you some time to get to that point. As recommended invest in a trigger.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    While it is not an apples to apples comparison, I have a 12.5" Centurion Arms (CHF by the same vendor that BCM uses) and an 11.5" BCM SS410 barrel. I have between 3 and 4k rounds through the CA barrel (estimated, not documented) and it currently shoots around 3/4 MOA with FMGM 77gr and a Mk262 clone load. The BCM barrel has very few rounds through it so I suspect that it will break in a little as time goes on but it is just under 1 MOA with the same ammunition currently. However, I would expect the barrel's accuracy to improve to roughly around the same as (if not slightly better than) the CA barrel and will recheck around 3K rounds. I fully expect this barrel to last 10k before I see any potential reduction in accuracy, based on my firing schedule.

The intent for both uppers is the same: general range fun, training classes, testing at work, etc. I plan on shooting it like a rental, not a precision gun.

To answer the OP's overall question:

If all CHF barrels shot like the CA I have, then SS barrels would not be worth it to me. However, the previous 11.5" barrel I had was also CHF from a different vendor and I could not get it to go under 1 MOA with any ammo on several different range trips (got close a few times) so I decided to give the SS410 barrel a go. So far, it's worth it to me.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks for all the replies, and especially the few data points.

Is it terrible that what's also factoring into my leanings is that I'm not fond of a shiny SS barrel? I don't think the world is going to blow up tomorrow and we'll all be Red Dawning it, but I keep those types of considerations in the back of my mind, just in case. I think if BCM had complete uppers listed with Keymod and their black ion bond SS barrels, I'd be pulling out the credit card right now.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    MS,
    If blackened stainless steel is a consideration, have you looked at Black Hole Weaponry? They have a good reputation for quality and accuracy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast