Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The GSR Ruger should have made from the start.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 8200rpm View Post
    For ****s sake. Every single Ruger GSR thread on the internet has at least one guy jerking off about their infatuation M14/AR10 mags.

AICS mags are the GOLD STANDARD for practical precision bolt guns. And with Ruger and now Magpul making polymer mags, M14 and AR10 mags are as relevant today as Oldsmobile and Buick. It's no longer 1985.
    Part of the scout rifle concept involves top loading which you cannot even do with AICS mags...

When the GSR starts trying to be a precision gun instead of a SCOUT rifle the AICS mags (which are by no means cheap) will make sense. On top of that, going from single stack to double stack would give more clearance under the gun for the same number of rounds...

Feedback Score
    I had one and dumped it. I did not care for the rough action. I'm used to a smooth and fluid bolt.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I finally got out to the range with my now fully functional Ruger Scout. It is a 16 inch stainless model.

This is my 5th official "scout" with many other variants over the years. I owned 3 Steyrs and 1 prior ruger with the laminate stock. I got rid of it after pricing an aftermarket synthetic stock which I pretty much require on all my rifles.

I had to send it back to the factory when I bought it because there was something wrong with the bolt. They replaced it and the extractor and everything is now running great.

Before I shot it (a few days before) I removed the gun from the action, sight rail and rear sight and retorqued lock tighted everything. I discovered that at least one of the rail screws was loose.

I ditched the muzzle brake. I prefer having the barrel be a bit shorter. I attached and locktited the factory supplied thread protector. Thread protector exposes the end of the muzzle which I am not a fan of.

At the range, I was shooting a combo of Federal mil-surp and Monarch soft point. I was pleased to find that the gun shot straight down the middle with no windage adjustments necessary at 100 yards. It was about an inch low, but hey, not bad considering I don't believe the gun was test fired (given the fact that the bolt wouldn't close from the factory).

The trigger feels like about 6 or so pounds. Despite that, the trigger is actually pretty good--only the very slightest perceptible movement before the firing pin drops. I would prefer it be in the 3-4 pound range but it is still very good. I have a timney on my 700 set in the hight 2s so I am a bit spoiled, but honestly I like the feel of the rugged more. The prior RGS I had a noticeably lighter trigger.

The bolt likes it rough. If you carefully and slowly work the bolt the brass will barely fall out of the gun. The Steyr was much better than the Ruger in this respect IMHO. But, you ain't supposed to be wussing around with the bolt anyway.

I slapped on my 1-4 Leopold Scout scope in QR Leupold rings. It didn't take but a few cranks to get it about 2.5 inches high at 100 yards. I didn't do any formal groups because I needed to get back an pick my kid up from school. Will follow up on this Sunday. But things look good because the scope adjustments predicted the hole fairly reliably.

After I was on I shot up the 5-6 clay pigeons laying against the back stop. Basically if I put the disc on top of the crosshair they were goners. None were left for the next guy.

I MUCH prefer the poly mag to the supplied metal mag. This was my expereince with my last RGS as well. First of all, the poly is easier to load. Secondly, the feed felt rougher from the metal mag. I wonder if the poly mags are improvements over the AI mags (makes some sense that they would learn a few things).

After a bumpy start, this rifle is looking GOOD. I will try and shoot some groups on Sunday.

Untitled by stoiclawyer, on Flickr
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    With a blade ejector you have to cycle it harder or the brass will lay in the receiver. That's not a failing it's common to all rifles with Mauser ejectors.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345