Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ejumicate me... fireballs.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Not always for sure. This is taken with an outdated android phone. Hah! So it's not really video gear. I would say that it caught most of the flashes though. I think being such low light, that may have helped. It was basically completely random. I always thought it was as the barrel heated, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
    Experience is what you get... When you don't get what you want.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Might be better than what I've tried to use. I can remember wanting to get footage of a specific flash hider, and the video wouldn't capture what I was seeing with my eyes.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Leaveammoforme View Post
    What I got from OP:

10.5 inch barrel + 55 grain projectile (gonna go out on limb and assume .223/556)= Fireball

An over the counter 223/556 loading will not completely burn in a 10.5 inch barrel. If it did, a 10.5 inch barrel would have the same (probably higher) muzzle velocity of a 20 inch barrel. We know a 223/556 10.5 does not perform that way.

If the fireballs were on a 16 or 20 inch, I would agree that there is some MD voodoo going on or there is an ignition problem.
    I was shooting 62gr ZQ1 FMJ out off my 18hbar with a non threaded barrel why such a fire ball on mine then?

http://youtu.be/28i7-OLTTzM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by futurerider103 View Post
    I was shooting 62gr ZQ1 FMJ out off my 18hbar with a non threaded barrel why such a fire ball on mine then?

http://youtu.be/28i7-OLTTzM
    Hey futurerider,

I Still >think< the design of .223/5.56 round was with a FH in place.... Yes/No? And from the sounds of it, yours doesn't have a FH screwed on...

I can not watch your video here from work...

Peace Jeff

Feedback Score
    There is no fh on mine at all.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Now that I think about it, I see the same variability on flash out of pistols in low light too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I haven't noticed this out of any at my other rifles and I shoot .308, .270, 7.62x39, 30-06, and of course .22

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    I notice it with several of my bolt guns. I typically am shooting them at dawn or dusk (Deer hunting) and will notice it with the same lot of ammo having different volume of fireballs (Without a flashhider to have the carbon deposits on). I would think the sparkles would be the carbon flakes braking off, while the fireball would be build up of gases or oxygen. I typically notice it happens in sequential firing schedule and usually around round 4 or 5 (WAG) as I have never actually counted and written it down, but it seems that it was usually 3-5 rounds in between the larger flashes. I too notice it with handguns as well.

Feedback Score
    I wonder if this is cause by the heat causing the barrel to expand a bit allowing more oxygen into the equation to burn

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123