Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current training, transition for room clearing?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
    Ive seen some guys lead with left foot (shooting from right side of cover) take kinda baby steps as they work corner, doing the lean around corner.
    As long as they don't get points deducted they won't stop.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    So we might be talking about switching sides... Are we talking Carbean or Pistol?

Both -

Feedback Score
    IMO it depends on several factors. Those factors are based on shooter skill and the situation. I personally don't like to say "never say never and don't always say always". The higher the skill level and the more experience in the individual, the more options. When you are teaching large numbers of people with base level skills, dumbing things down or keeping things simple is often a function based out of necessity. In an ideal world, with all switched on individuals, you want to create thinkers and not just robotic like doers. If skill levels, time and resources are limited, then a KISS method is what works.

Feedback Score
    I thought, with a rifle, shoulder transitions were for working cover. Clearing rooms, especially a residential, or office building, you don't really have cover... at least around here.

Very situation dependent IMO.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I thought, with a rifle, shoulder transitions were for working cover. Clearing rooms, especially a residential, or office building, you don't really have cover... at least around here.

Very situation dependent IMO.
    Agreed. It's kinda difficult to have violence of action if your stopping

Sent from my SM-G900T using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    Agreed. It's kinda difficult to have violence of action if your stopping

It does depend on what you're doing and who you have with you.

If you're moving through a building with armor on and a bunch of your buddies who also have armor, you will be clearing rooms and halls differently than if it's just you trying not to make any noise.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Surf made a profound point:
    Proficiency gives options.

There are times that having the long gun in the support shoulder might give an edge. The caveat is that most units do not have the resources to devote to getting support side skill to an acceptable level.

That said, there most certainly are units that do, and that switch shoulders based on advantage, and not limited to use of support/cover.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    It does depend on what you're doing and who you have with you.

If you're moving through a building with armor on and a bunch of your buddies who also have armor, you will be clearing rooms and halls differently than if it's just you trying not to make any noise.
    Absolutely. This is why it bugs me when someone professes "the way".

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I was in SOI, they taught to shortstock and transition in certain circumstances in a hallway if we had a team taking a building, but when entering a room itself, we were all about pivots--and I dont mean as in drill movements.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    Surf made a profound point:
    Proficiency gives options.

There are times that having the long gun in the support shoulder might give an edge. The caveat is that most units do not have the resources to devote to getting support side skill to an acceptable level.

That said, there most certainly are units that do, and that switch shoulders based on advantage, and not limited to use of support/cover.
    A good example is going down a right turning stairwell for a right handed shooter. Something where you will be cutting right for a good bit of time. I usually transition sides in this situation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12