Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint opinions and assistance requested

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    As I wrote in my original post, I had read favorable reviews about John, that's why I sought him out first. It is what it is.
    Last edited by johnnyringo; 12-19-14 at 08:04.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Wink

Make a very small pin hole in a piece of paper and hold it centered on and touching the eye piece end of the PRO with the brightness turned down to a visible level.

Looking through the pin hole, if the multitude of dots go away...it ain't the Swede's fault.
    Just an idea
    But maybe it just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 12-19-14 at 08:18.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks. The other tech fellow I spoke with had me try that while we were on the phone. I did that and it showed 3 dots. I tried to photograph it without success.
    That's the reason he assigned me an R/A number.

At this point I'm looking for other quality alternatives. Any suggestions...anyone?? Thanks, JR

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Aimpoint opinions and assistance requested

I'm not sure if it has been said before, but I think of the aiming technique like looking at a Magic Eye picture. Your eyes are looking at close range objects but need to focus as if looking at a long range object. I too got a small bloom from time to time. I trained my self to avoid this by putting the Aimpoint on the lowest visible setting, mounting the rifle at low ready, focusing on a target at the intended range, and then mounting the rifle without taking my eyes off the target. The trick is to bring something (the red dot) into the line of sight while focused at range without shifting focus from the target to the red dot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Co-gnARR; 12-19-14 at 08:47.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If there really is 3 distinct dots, I would think they'd still be visible through a magnifier. That should determine if its human or optic related. If Aimpoint won't do anything more with it then try returning it to the seller. If still no joy, sell it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Have you tried any other red dot sights? Better yet, do you know someone else with an AP Pro you can look through? This would help you determine pretty quickly whether it's your eyes or the Aimpoint.

Just a shot in the dark, but also check brightness. Based on your opening post, the scope initially checked good, and then bad after 45-50 rounds. That means something went wrong with it, or the environment changed (it got cloudy or dark at the range.) I find if I have my RDS too bright, I get ghosting and lens flare (it is a cheaper optic than an AP though, so I don't worry about it too much). Is it possible you have the brightness way up to compensate for cataracts?
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 12-19-14 at 09:04.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
    Thanks. The other tech fellow I spoke with had me try that while we were on the phone. I did that and it showed 3 dots. I tried to photograph it without success.
    That's the reason he assigned me an R/A number.

At this point I'm looking for other quality alternatives. Any suggestions...anyone?? Thanks, JR
    I wouldn't give up on Aimpoint but I can understand your frustration.

But maybe it just me...

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
    . I tried to photograph it without success.
    try photographing it again - that will help a lot. use a clear background and focus the camera on infinity, or point autofocus on the dot. if there are three clear dots, then it's the optic. if it's one clear dot, then it isn't.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post

Make a very small pin hole in a piece of paper and hold it centered on and touching the eye piece end of the PRO with the brightness turned down to a visible level.

Looking through the pin hole, if the multitude of dots go away...it ain't the Swede's fault.
    Just an idea
    But maybe it just me...

You can do the same thing with a BUIS. Look through the small aperture at the dot. If the cluster of grapes goes away it is your eyes.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Sounds like it's your eyes. I have the same problem. I just turn mine down as low as possible, and look through the rear sight when I need a very precise shot placement.

Also I have a TR24 that is a bit more versatile and eliminates the problem. I prefer the Aimpoint for speed despite seeing a snowman looking star through the optic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast