Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aimpoint opinions and assistance requested

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Aimpoint opinions and assistance requested

I recently bought a Colt M4 and I'm trying to make an intelligent decision on optics. I haven't owned an AR rifle for 30+ years. It was a SP1. Now, as you can surmise, I'm a geezer and and not up to speed on all the current technologies.

A few years back, when prices were out of sight, I bought a SAM7R AK47. Later I bought an Aimpoint Pro Patrol red dot and a good quality mount for it. After getting everything mounted, I took it the range to sight it in. After shooting maybe 40-50 rounds I started seeing 3 red dots, closely grouped together. My efforts to zero it in were gone! I asked the range master to aim it and tell me what he saw. He said 3 dots. Two of my friends later, at my home, saw the same thing.

So I called Aimpoint and left messages for a tech fellow by the name of John. I had read good reviews about his service. Never got a return call. After waiting a few weeks, I called again and spoke with another tech who patiently walked me through several tests after which he provided me an R/A number so they could check it themselves.

After a couple of months I received a call from "John" who informs me they had sent it back to the factory (Sweden?) and it checked out perfectly. I asked him what could cause me (and others) to see 3 dots. He huffed and said it damn well is not the Aimpoint! Click!

When it came back I re-installed and....3 dots. Now I don't have the eye sight of a young man, but my vision is 20-25 with some developing cataracts.

So now I'm hesitant to go down that road again, so I'm hoping you resident experts to help me out a bit. I'd appreciate your suggestions. Kindly provide specific make as well as the model numbers. Thanks to all for your time and sage advice. JR

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    99.9% chance it's your eyes. Time for a checkup.

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    Sounds like astigmatism . Try a trijicon tr24 triangle.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shao View Post
    99.9% chance it's your eyes. Time for a checkup.
    Quote Originally Posted by cop1211 View Post
    Sounds like astigmatism . Try a trijicon tr24 triangle.
    With that many different people though?
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Been there done that. Should I take the range master and my 3 friends as well?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
    Been there done that. Should I take the range master and my 3 friends as well?
    Maybe. Are you trying to aim with the dot? They are meant to be used with both eyes open and focused on the target not looking at the dot.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    They might be unfamiliar with a RDS and how it's supposed to look, much less how it's supposed to be used. If AP checked it out, I'd trust them.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
    After a couple of months I received a call from "John" who informs me they had sent it back to the factory (Sweden?) and it checked out perfectly. I asked him what could cause me (and others) to see 3 dots. He huffed and said it damn well is not the Aimpoint! Click!
    That is how AP speaks with customers?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    How old were they?

In all seriousness though the PRO doesn't seem to be as clear of a dot as a T1 or M4 in my experience. Another thing is many people crank up the brightness more than is necessary causing the bloom to be worse.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveAR View Post
    That is how AP speaks with customers?
    John Enloe is known for his excellent CS. I'd bet there is more this story.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast