Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were buying a rail today, Geissele SMR MKII or BCM KMR?

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

If you were buying a rail today, Geissele SMR MKII or BCM KMR?

Looking at retrofitting one of my uppers that currently has a 7" Larue hand guard on it to a 13" modular rail. I'm torn between the Geissele SMR MKII and the BCM KMR. Now I'm not trying to save weight, and I'm indifferent to keymod. I will be running this rifle with Daniel Defense iron sights only, and a Streamlight TLR-1HL at the 12 o'clock position. I also plan on running a stubby VFG like what Tango Down makes and use it as a hand stop mostly. Just a very streamlined and no nonsense carbine. Price on both seems about even in the $250 ish range which I think is very reasonable.

So having prefaced my needs above, which would you go with if you were buying one today, and why? The reason the Geissele appeals to me a bit more right now is because it is a rock solid product that is well made and it uses normal mounting options. Thanks

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    If you want the SMR mk2, you might consider the SMR mk8. At least you get M-Lok, then, and personally I think it looks just as nice, if not better. Like the mk2, if you add M-Lok Pic rails, you get "normal" mounting options, too.

For extreme weight reduction, the KMR wins.
    Will - Owner of Arisaka LLC - http://www.arisakadefense.com

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)

If you were buying a rail today, Geissele SMR MKII or BCM KMR?

DSG has the DD Slim rail on sale right now, just to make your decision harder.

ETA - nevermind, that's the 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The kmr is amazing.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have both and like both very much. I love the KMR for how it feels and how light it is. However I am still concerned about its overall strength. That could be all mental because of how light it is as I have not heard heard of any stories of them breaking. On the other hand Ive never heard a SME say its just as durable as the KAC/DD/etc.

I also love my Geissele but it is a good bit heavier. However I have no doubt about its durability due to the materials and having read SME's say its just as durable as KAC and the others.

Hard choice man.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    I have an MK2 which I bought before M-LOK or the BCM KMR were released. I'm happy with it and don't regret my purchase. That being said, had the MK8 or KMR been out when I made my purchase I don't know I would have gone with the MK2. Other than price I don't think it has any advantages over the MK8 and the light weight and popularity of the KMR certainly have me intrigued. On the other hand, given what you want to attach the MK2 will serve you just fine and you can even pick them up on EEs for about $210-215. I can tell you that there is ZERO movement or deflection with this rail.

On the other other hand if you're looking for a thin tube rail type feel, the MK2 is not it. It is large and it is square. It basically feels like a smooth pic rail. There are also no covers available for it, though it handles heat very well (at least I know the steel barrel nut version does) and covers would probably make it too thick anyway.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    You can't really go wrong either way. I have used both and like both - a lot. I might lean towards the KMR personally, but it's win-win.

On the other hand, since you said it would be irons only, it's tough to argue with the robustness of the Geissele (not a knock on the KMRs, but the Geissele's seem as rigid as anything I have handled which might give piece of mind for irons).

If you want a Mk2, Primary Arms has 13" Mk2s on sale for about $190 right now, which is tough to beat.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    DSG has the DD Slim rail on sale right now, just to make your decision harder.

ETA - nevermind, that's the 15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I saw the deal, do you know if it comes with the barrel nut wrench?

Feedback Score
    I went from a Geissele mk1 (I know it's not exactly the same rail but they're really close) to a KMR. The mk1 was dang blasted heavy for one but the main thing that I did not like about it was the feel. As TF82 said, it feels like a quad rail with the pic slots ground off.

The setup you describe is very similar to mine. I run an x300u in front of my dd front sight and I have an eotech on there as well. I use one of the BCM keymod front grips as you described. And all told I love my KMR and do not regret my decision at all

Feedback Score
    34 (100%)
    Geissele rails come with the barrel nut wrench.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast