Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were buying a rail today, Geissele SMR MKII or BCM KMR?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I love the Geissele rails for sure. But after running the KMR for a few months now, it's almost painful to pick up the GI profile barrel and Geissele rail. I'm not even a light weight fag... but the difference is dramatic.
    I'm not a 'weight weenie' either, and I'm with you on the difference it can make. I threw together a gun with a BCM 16" ELW barrel and my 13" KMR, and holy smokes that gun is amazing. Really, every time I shoot it I like it more. It's accurate, super light, well balanced, and it shoots really smooth too. This combination is really making me rethink some of my other uppers.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm not even a light weight fag... but the difference is dramatic.
    Is that really necessary?

Has anyone done any KMR flex testing?

Feedback Score
    Geissele

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    if it were me i would go kmr. there are plenty of options for mounting whatever you might need on keymod rails and the slimmer profile just feels better in your hands. the weight savings is just a big bonus.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a similar dilemma during my last build, and went with a Mk 2. It's fantastic- I haven't looked back once.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by foxtrotx1 View Post
    Is that really necessary?

Has anyone done any KMR flex testing?
    The KMR is stiffer than Mr. Greenfield in Debbie Does Dallas!!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    After reading more closely, your looking at the Mark 2 and the KMR, I should have picked that up earlier so I apologize. I have had all Geissele rails and the Mark 2 was my least favorite, in that case the KMR all the way. The Mark 1 is a different league all in its own. Those that have ran one or own one know just what I am talking about. Even the other Geissele rails do not even come close, when you handle one you know your not dealing with the same breed.

If I were going Geissele for a no nonsense lighter weight rail I would look at the Mark 4 it's also a fantastic rail and my second favorite G rail. The Mark 3 blends some of the Mark 1 and the Mark 2 together making a rail that resembles the Mark 1 at a more affordable price point, but I find the extra weight kinda much. The finish, fit and strength of the Mark 1 trumps both of them, while the Mark 4 is a different type of rail altogether that has its own specific purpose IMO.

The KMR, when unboxing amazed me, net photos and reviews do not do it justice. I knew it would be low profile and light but I was not expecting it to the extent that I found. Some do not care for the finish and I also understood that right away because I managed to add some love to the rail on first installation. But it can always be refinished so not a problem. What served as an issue to me was clearance from my Lo pro GB ( Geissle Nitride SGA) and the rail add in some downward pressure from me while prone shooting and I had an accuracy issue. I should add that I had a Vortex 2.5-10x32 on top. I had the rail correctly installed double and triple checked. What I then realized was the application and build that I was using the KMR for did not fully work out as I had initially thought. So after coming here and getting some needed advice from Grant and others I switched out my GB for a BCM Lopro GB and went minimalist EXPS-3, WML and BCM KAG and problem solved and I am not sure why I did not previously think about my end application before hand.

I mean a Mark 1 would not make sense on a lightweight build just like the KMR would not make sense on a distance heavier build. Either will look cool and both will work but both have a intended use. I understand exceptions to my logic and there are many but this is what I found to work. If your between the KMR and the MK2 I say KMR especially from you initial post and my assumption of what your looking for. Sorry for the ramble it's brought to you complements of Sammy Smiths Winter Welcome

"It's Dangerous To Go Alone! Take This."

https://www.facebook.com/Blak1508
    Instagram Blak1508

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

If you were buying a rail today, Geissele SMR MKII or BCM KMR?

Honest question, how well does the KMR work as an iron sight only rail? That is the most important part of what I'm putting together.
    Last edited by JBecker 72; 12-20-14 at 21:02.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    Honest question, how well does the KMR work as an iron sight only rail? That is the most important part of what I'm putting together.
    What do you mean by that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

If you were buying a rail today, Geissele SMR MKII or BCM KMR?

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    What do you mean by that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've had a couple rails now that I could grab and flex to the point of changing POI. A sturdy lockup and rigid construction are critical for a rifle that is gonna be an iron sight only rifle.

That's why I'm leaning Geissele.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast