Thread: Does anyone here play the violin?

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)

Does anyone here play the violin?

I always had an interest in it but have yet to buy one and start looking for a local instructor. Just curious if anyone has any tips.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Rent don't buy this time of year.
    Wait until the end of the school year and check Craigs list for good buys on violins.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    Just rent while you try a few lessons. Buy when you get serious about it.
    ‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
    — Mahatma Ghandi

Feedback Score
    Rent and ask about any kind of credit system. I played through Jr high and High school and the shop I rented mine from gave you credits towards purchases. Of course I rented for 7 years but my senior year I had something like 1500$ worth of credit and used to purchase an $1800 violin.
    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"

-Samuel Adams, 1776

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You mentioned finding an instructor - find him/her first, they can give you some advice on what you want to look for. They may also have a loaner for you to use for the first several lessons. My youngest daughter plays drums, she uses the studio's trap for lessons.

My oldest daughter still takes lessons from her middle school orchestra teacher, she's in high school now and he gives lessons to people of all ages. I'd check and see if your local schools have orchestra programs and how well they do in competitions/how many kids they put on the state honors orchestra, etc. If they do okay, then get with the instructor and see who they recommend, it could be they give lessons.

I ought to mention that my daughter plays upright bass, and there are different sizes and of course quality.

I don't necessarily agree with murphman about rentals, I think it depends on the market. Our community only has one 'full service' music store. I checked into their rental program and it was pretty much as murphman described. The kicker was how much they had inflated the price of the instrument over what you could buy the same instrument for online. If you live in an area with multiple stores, they are probably going to be more competitive on price, but I'd check.

Good luck. I don't play myself, but have grown to love orchestra and, in particular Dvorak, because of my oldest daughter's involvement.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 12-22-14 at 00:26.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Would love to learn. Keep us informed. Maybe I'll pursue this as well.

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    Thanks. I'll find the instinctive first.
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.