Thread: timing MOE stock install question

Feedback Score

timing MOE stock install question

Good morning. I've installed a few different stocks in the past, but have never had this much difficulty. When I torque the castle nut down, it keeps taking the tube with it a few degrees past center no matter how hard I try to keep it centered. This stock, castle nut, tube, and end plate were previously installed on a DD I have. I have the end plate clocked to the furthest revolution that it can be. I'm using the original staking mark on the nut for reference, and I keep going just slightly past it when I torque it down. When I line them up (stake mark) it's just a bit too loose. When looking from the back of the stock, I turn the tube counter-clocwise a few degrees past the zero point. I then finger tighten the nut as tight as I can get it, while holding the tube, before using the wrench to give it the final torque. After final torque it's always a few degrees past 12 o'clock center.
    Any tips to this?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I've had this happen a few times over the years. I've always just fought it into the best position possible.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If I'm tracking here, you're not gonna be able to "time" the castle nut to the original stake marks. You're gonna need to re-stake the end plate to wherever the castle nut ends up.
    ἰδέτωσαν, ἱστορησάτωσαν οἱ ἄνθρωποι ἄνθρωπον ἀληθινὸν κατὰ φύσινζῶντα.

Videant, cognoverunt hominis hominem verum secundum naturam suam viventem.

Let men see, let them know, a real man, who lives as he was meant to live.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouroborous View Post
    If I'm tracking here, you're not gonna be able to "time" the castle nut to the original stake marks. You're gonna need to re-stake the end plate to wherever the castle nut ends up.
    Thanks guys. That's kind of what I thought. I wasn't trying to re-time to the existing marks, but figured I'd see where it ended up with them after already fighting it to keep it tight and in place with my torque down. I know that ultimately the margin of error resides in how much give (side to side) that the end plate allows. Perhaps my stock was always off by a little in the first place and I just never noticed it when it was originally installed. I'm just being a perfectionist about it I guess.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    You just have to fight it when tightening down the castle nut. FWIW, since I put the A5 system on all of my guns, I haven't had this problem. I'm not sure if it's tighter tolerances on A5 tube or the Noveske end plate.