Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The myth of over lubrication.. wait.. is the LAV back with DD?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephantrider View Post
    You are right, this was part of a TAC TV episode, and posted to Youtube, quite a long time ago. I guess no one saw the original airing/post because this seems to be making minor waves. The whole thing is nothing new and not that big a deal IMO. Is it really that tough to determine if a weapon is properly lubricated?
    A LOT of people believe that only a thin coating in key areas should be used, and that 'too much' lube will attract dust/dirt (or allow dust/dirt that hits to stick in greater quantity) thus freezing up the gun.

A lot of those people are current or prior military and/or law enforcement. You can find them pretty much everywhere, and they don't care what LAV or anybody else says, they will even watch this video and discredit it because they didn't poor dust and dirt over the action after covering them in oil, and it was only 10 rounds.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    That's why AR's should be piston-driven. If they were all piston-driven, they wouldn't need lubrication, because they would never get dirty or malfunction to begin with. That is why AK's rule third world countries.

This is the argument that I get from guys that I know with military experience, and are in no way my thoughts. These guys will not go against what someone told them sometime, somewhere back in the day. And it doesn't matter if I tell them different, or show them this video, or the filthy-14 article.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Old video. I think this video was from back when Tac TV was on like two years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TXBK View Post
    That's why AR's should be piston-driven. If they were all piston-driven, they wouldn't need lubrication, because they would never get dirty or malfunction to begin with. That is why AK's rule third world countries.

This is the argument that I get from guys that I know with military experience, and are in no way my thoughts. These guys will not go against what someone told them sometime, somewhere back in the day. And it doesn't matter if I tell them different, or show them this video, or the filthy-14 article.
    I run into guys like that all of the time. I always tell them to pick up an AK manual and read the lube section. The Russians and Eastern European Nations who fielded the AK are strict about cleaning and lubing the rifle. The only people who don't clean and lube their AK is third world beasties and stupid Americans.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp View Post
    A LOT of people believe that only a thin coating in key areas should be used, and that 'too much' lube will attract dust/dirt (or allow dust/dirt that hits to stick in greater quantity) thus freezing up the gun.

A lot of those people are current or prior military and/or law enforcement. You can find them pretty much everywhere, and they don't care what LAV or anybody else says, they will even watch this video and discredit it because they didn't poor dust and dirt over the action after covering them in oil, and it was only 10 rounds.
    For starters, the test of submerging a gun in oil then shooting 10 rounds out of it doesn't simulate any real world scenario.

Secondly, for a patrol rifle, there isn't a point to putting on more than a thin film of CLP. Anything more is just going to leak out into your bag. It's not a civilian gun that gets lubed directly before and during shooting. Still though, I'll shoot hundreds of round with a light film of CLP and have no problems.

Thirdly, there is a very real reason they kept those guns away from any dirt while they were dripping wet with oil. Or why the magazines never touched the ground either.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    For starters, the test of submerging a gun in oil then shooting 10 rounds out of it doesn't simulate any real world scenario.

Secondly, for a patrol rifle, there isn't a point to putting on more than a thin film of CLP. Anything more is just going to leak out into your bag. It's not a civilian gun that gets lubed directly before and during shooting. Still though, I'll shoot hundreds of round with a light film of CLP and have no problems.

Thirdly, there is a very real reason they kept those guns away from any dirt while they were dripping wet with oil. Or why the magazines never touched the ground either.

Because they would jam if they got dirt or dust on them?
    Last edited by Warp; 12-21-14 at 21:29. Reason: Can't spell jam/jamb

Feedback Score
    Not on them, in them.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWcityguy2 View Post
    Anything more is just going to leak out into your bag. It's not a civilian gun that gets lubed directly before and during shooting.
    Who cares if some CLP leaks into your bag? As well, the fact that its "not a civilian gun that gets lubed directly before and during shooting" is even more of a reason to apply a generous amount of lubricant to the entire bolt and the rails of the carrier. Really, there is just zero reason not to. Nothing negative could happen, but you may end up in a situation where benefits might be realized. And your rifle will love you. I don't need to reapply lubricant during shooting unless im really whaling on it for some time.

Feedback Score
    You're just messing with me, right?

I'll go to the range tomorrow and shoot 400 rounds out of my rifle that I haven't lubed in 2 weeks. My dept. issued me 56 rounds of duty ammo. I'm smart enough not to turn my bag into an oily mess. This is me talking from actual shooting experience.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

The myth of over lubrication.. wait.. is the LAV back with DD?

Cops are civilians.

My guns are drenched with oil and get dirty as hell. My mags get dropped in dirt and gravel. Somebody tell my guns they are supposed to be kept away from dirt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast