Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which FF Rail?

Feedback Score

Which FF Rail?

Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while now and have learned a good bit so far. Without going into all of the dry details, here is what I have for my upper build so far. I managed to get a LaRue Stealth Upper, a Noveske 16.1 SS barrel with the gas block installed. I'm in the process of picking up a BCG and have the gas tube and charging handle on order.

Now I'm stuck on FF rails. I have looked at the following and like them all. The Larue LT15-12, the Troy Ind. 12" MRF-R, the Troy Ind. 13.8" MRF-RX or the Superior Weapons Systems Rifle Length Free Float Tube. I know that they are all probably pretty similar, but thought I would see if anyone has compared them side by side and has any information or input.

Thanks
    Dave

Feedback Score
    Larue FTW!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Goodtimes View Post
    Larue FTW!
    Mr. Goodtimes,
    Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you have any reasoning, or if it is just personal preference. I'm sure most of this decision will be, since from what I have read so far, the Larue and Troy are both excellent products. I haven't seen much about the Superior Weapons Systems, but I'm pretty sure they are what comes on the Noveske uppers and rifles.

Dave

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs179 View Post
    Hi all,

I've been lurking around here for a while now and have learned a good bit so far. Without going into all of the dry details, here is what I have for my upper build so far. I managed to get a LaRue Stealth Upper, a Noveske 16.1 SS barrel with the gas block installed. I'm in the process of picking up a BCG and have the gas tube and charging handle on order.

Now I'm stuck on FF rails. I have looked at the following and like them all. The Larue LT15-12, the Troy Ind. 12" MRF-R, the Troy Ind. 13.8" MRF-RX or the Superior Weapons Systems Rifle Length Free Float Tube. I know that they are all probably pretty similar, but thought I would see if anyone has compared them side by side and has any information or input.

Thanks
    Dave
    Dave,

We need a few more questions answered before we can help you.

How much do you want to spend?

What is the purpose of the weapon?

What do you plan on mounting on the rail?

...and anything else that will help us help you.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Dave L has the answer for now.

I'll give you my random thoughts though. I've played with, owned, installed, and cussed a few of them over the years. I've put a few MI and YH on for friends and they work fine. I just don't prefer them.

I like some of the features on the Daniel Defense Omega. I prefer systems that don't need the delta ring. I think it makes a smoother more seamless transition. I have owned more Troy's than anything else. It is my favorite and now that they're also putting QD on the rear of the rails that evens the playing field with DD now.

Lately I've come to appreciate the less is more on the rail. I ordered a rifle from Defensive Edge and it came with a PRI. I like that it's not covered head to toe. The new Troys also have that feature. Most of mine get a light so I don't need the space for laser designators, laser sights, and more. I put sling attachments on most. Occasionally I will put a VFG on one but not usually. Most of my rail real estate ends up getting covered by rail covers of some kind.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    Dave,

We need a few more questions answered before we can help you.

How much do you want to spend?

What is the purpose of the weapon?

What do you plan on mounting on the rail?

...and anything else that will help us help you.
    Dave L.

As for what I want to spend, so far the Rails I listed seem to be in the $300 or so range. With that being said up to $350 or so is fine with me.

I've wanted an AR/M4 for a while now and with the AWB possibly coming back finally decided to go for it. It's mostly just going to be a toy, taken to the range ten to twelve times a year.

As for what I want to mount on it. My list now is pretty short, a VFG, a tatical light of some kind not sure which though and that is about it.

I know it's probably all overkill for what I want to do with it, but I'd rather get quality stuff now since the future availability is so uncertain.
    Thanks for all your help

Dave

Feedback Score
    Mr. Goodtimes,
    Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if you have any reasoning, or if it is just personal preference. I'm sure most of this decision will be, since from what I have read so far, the Larue and Troy are both excellent products. I haven't seen much about the Superior Weapons Systems, but I'm pretty sure they are what comes on the Noveske uppers and rifles.

Dave

DBS, my main reasoning is, you see a lot of larue rails, and once you get one youll know why. their customer service is great, and their products are top notch, while also being affordable. I also really like the way the rail installs. Troy makes a very good product as well, you cant go wrong. prior to putting the larue on my rifle (yesterday actually) i had a troy DI rail system on there since november and it was excellent as well. only reason i put the larue on was i wanted to free float the barrel.

-Ryan

Feedback Score
    I'd go with the DD Lite. It's lighter than any of the rails you mentioned, has anti-rotation, and gives that cool seamless monolithic look. The guys at DD are a great crew as well.
    The luxury of freedom was not free.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by olds442tyguy View Post
    I'd go with the DD Lite. It's lighter than any of the rails you mentioned, has anti-rotation, and gives that cool seamless monolithic look. The guys at DD are a great crew as well.
    +1 for that
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Dave L.

As for what I want to spend, so far the Rails I listed seem to be in the $300 or so range. With that being said up to $350 or so is fine with me.

I've wanted an AR/M4 for a while now and with the AWB possibly coming back finally decided to go for it. It's mostly just going to be a toy, taken to the range ten to twelve times a year.

As for what I want to mount on it. My list now is pretty short, a VFG, a tatical light of some kind not sure which though and that is about it.

I know it's probably all overkill for what I want to do with it, but I'd rather get quality stuff now since the future availability is so uncertain.
    Thanks for all your help

Dave
    For the price range you mentioned, and that you have stated you want quality. I like my Daniel Defense Products. I also have a KAC FF RAS that's nice.

I would go for a DD Lite Rail, as others have also stated.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast