Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Practice Range at Home - What would you want?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Aside from researching the type pf targets and such make sure you look into any restrictions on minimum acreage for ranges in your AO. Id offer a variety of targets that re easily movable. You can have a few round plates and silhouettes that you can reposition quick for practice stages close in. Sameness for distance. Set up things you can practice getting hits on, but also have a place where you can stick paper and focus on fundamentals.

Feedback Score
    If your area has lots of potential and/or options, I'd suggest building it out incrementally as you might find as you use it that you'd like to change things. Might save you some cost or buttpain later.

Feedback Score
    The place I shoot at has a "tactics" range, with large wooden spools, plastic barrels, movable target stands, and other misc. cover/concealment type stuff. Everything is fairly easy to relocate and it makes for some good training.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    Nice, I'm going to have to add wheels to mine I like that idea.
    We have a few steel plates made from 1/2 inch AR500. Shooting M193 even from inside 50 yards has barely fazed the surface - negligible pitting over at least 3 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtpGrPpxIEA

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    We have a few steel plates made from 1/2 inch AR500. Shooting M193 even from inside 50 yards has barely fazed the surface - negligible pitting over at least 3 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtpGrPpxIEA
    AR500 is the way to go, I need something that is going to hold up to 308 also. A friend of mine has a silhouette we have shot with two SCAR 17s and 556 it is holding up great.

Feedback Score
    If you have a lo of trees in that 100 yds., try to have a lot of trees to shoot thru. Shooting thru (between) trees is a lot more fun and educational then shooting down clear lanes.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    AR500 is the way to go, I need something that is going to hold up to 308 also. A friend of mine has a silhouette we have shot with two SCAR 17s and 556 it is holding up great.
    .223/.556 is much harder on steel plate than .308. I prefer 1/2 inch so that the gong doesn't react quite as violently, but I've seen 3/8 inch AR500 gongs stand up pretty well. I'd sure stay away from M855. That does tend to pocket even AR500 which potentially leads to dangerous ricochets.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    .223/.556 is much harder on steel plate than .308. I prefer 1/2 inch so that the gong doesn't react quite as violently, but I've seen 3/8 inch AR500 gongs stand up pretty well. I'd sure stay away from M855. That does tend to pocket even AR500 which potentially leads to dangerous ricochets.
    1/2" is what I'm going to use, and thanks for the heads up on the M855.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern View Post
    If you have a lo of trees in that 100 yds., try to have a lot of trees to shoot thru. Shooting thru (between) trees is a lot more fun and educational then shooting down clear lanes.
    I agree with you here, when I practice from a tree stand with my bow I place the targets in spots to make the "tough shots" as much if not more than wide open. Also use trees as natural props to shoot around if possible.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have always liked Hickok45's range setup.
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast