Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Practice Range at Home - What would you want?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MBtech View Post
    1/2" is what I'm going to use, and thanks for the heads up on the M855.
    With AR500, make sure to find targets that have been cut either with a water jet or underwater plasma. Standard plasma cutting, which is what some of the cheaper mfgrs do, will de-temper the edge of the gong and hits there will ding it up bad. We tend to shoot well inside the 50 yard mark so we're very attentive to anything that might cause an unpredictable ricochet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    With AR500, make sure to find targets that have been cut either with a water jet or underwater plasma. Standard plasma cutting, which is what some of the cheaper mfgrs do, will de-temper the edge of the gong and hits there will ding it up bad. We tend to shoot well inside the 50 yard mark so we're very attentive to anything that might cause an unpredictable ricochet.
    Do you have any links on some?

How do you tell how they have been cut if not stated? My reason for asking is there is a local shop that sells steel targets but are all just set out plain with a price tag on them. I have been looking at some from lvsteeltargets.com I hunt pigs and I really like the boar targets they have, not sure what process they use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Great tips and data points on the AR500. Thanks. Have to admit I've never shot 5.56 into steel. Are all your carbine targets tilted down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanStreaker View Post
    Great tips and data points on the AR500. Thanks. Have to admit I've never shot 5.56 into steel. Are all your carbine targets tilted down?
    Yes. They hang from some stand-off bolts, so they tilt downward about 15 degrees. We also try to shoot off-angle a little. High velocity bullets like .223/5.56 tend to disintegrate to some degree, but you might get the jacket or maybe other fragments being kicked back.

Ultra high-speed video of bullet hitting AR500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fgn7MUp6UxA

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    This thread is making me envious!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by zombiescometh View Post
    I have always liked Hickok45's range setup.
    Yeah, I think he's put a lot of effort into building that setup over the years . . .

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    With the area I have at my place I've been looking at 3gun shoot setups to replicate.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    ^^^That is exactly what I would want... room for at least 3 "bermed off" stages, maybe 2 sufficient for pistol, and one big enough for a 3-gun "walk through" stage. Just add barrels, wood, paper, and steel!
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 12-27-14 at 17:40.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    If I may suggest these targets, I have shot lots of rounds on them.

http://tacstrike.com/STEEL-TARGETS/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123