Page 70 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: Gunsmithing Hall of Shame Thread

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyyr View Post
    I know some EOD guys who might have thoughts on this.
    PRetty good, almost, but not quite got me to spew iced tea!

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    What do you do with something like that afterwards?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Take pictures of it and use it to discourage first time builders (like we recently had) from biting off more than they can chew.
    But I'll tell you what I will do with this one.
    I'm gonna to finish out the FC pocket and trigger shelf, drill my selector and fire control pin holes. Then I'm going to install a trigger in it and shoot it. No it will never be mounted to an upper beyond that, but I really just want to see if I can still make it go pew pew. I think I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    If I had the time and equipment, I'd like to do one. I guess I could do it with my drill press but IMO you really need a mill to do it right.
    I have a fully functional lower I did with the same monster drill press as I used to jack up that lower. It had a digital X-Y guides to help, but hands down a mill is the way to go.
    I've seen about... Well a lot of lowers get milled on a harbor freights mill. I kid you not, and they function well, have tight controls and have not presented a single issue. I'd say it can be done, but the more AR's I build, the more value I place on using the right tools..

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 556BlackRifle View Post
    If I had the time and equipment, I'd like to do one. I guess I could do it with my drill press but IMO you really need a mill to do it right.
    Using a drill press to mill is an invitation to part destruction on the low end and injury on the top end. Drill chucks are not designed to take lateral forces so they eventually loosen up and sometimes tools go flying. There's a reason that mills utilize collets of various types that hold the entire shank of the tool.

Feedback Score
    Repeat after me class: a drill press is not a milling machine. Use the proper tool for the job.

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    What do you do with something like that afterwards?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Crusher I would think...
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    Be careful thou speakest blasphemy!

Here's a shot of my own shame! This was a case where my bit loosened up & dropped down just enough to punch through the bottom of the fire control well. Even thought the machine I used was a monster press, it wasn't a mill and so once again I learned the value of using the right tool for the right job. Since this is for booboo's I won't post my successfully mill works. I'm with you, it's really fun and when I mill a lower that come out beautiful is really satisfying.

The same thing can happen if you use a mill if you don't make sure the end mill is secured as it should be. (Ask me how I know) I ordered more than one 80% lower in anticipation of the possibility of making a mistake in the process.

That looks like it could be salvageable by the use of a different trigger assembly. It would be ugly as sin but you can still make it work. Look on the bright side, you never have to worry about a blown primer getting somewhere and causing a malfunction.
    ~Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    Using a drill press to mill is an invitation to part destruction on the low end and injury on the top end. Drill chucks are not designed to take lateral forces so they eventually loosen up and sometimes tools go flying. There's a reason that mills utilize collets of various types that hold the entire shank of the tool.
    I agree.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertTheTexan View Post
    I have a fully functional lower I did with the same monster drill press as I used to jack up that lower. It had a digital X-Y guides to help, but hands down a mill is the way to go.
    I've seen about... Well a lot of lowers get milled on a harbor freights mill. I kid you not, and they function well, have tight controls and have not presented a single issue. I'd say it can be done, but the more AR's I build, the more value I place on using the right tools..

Some of their tools aren't that bad. I bought a tile saw at harbor freight for about the cost to rent one for a couple of days. It did a great job.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LoboTBL View Post
    The same thing can happen if you use a mill if you don't make sure the end mill is secured as it should be. (Ask me how I know) I ordered more than one 80% lower in anticipation of the possibility of making a mistake in the process.

That looks like it could be salvageable by the use of a different trigger assembly. It would be ugly as sin but you can still make it work. Look on the bright side, you never have to worry about a blown primer getting somewhere and causing a malfunction.
    Yeah, I think I can salvage it and you're right. It's gonna be fugly. Certainly not something I'd want to post on "Custom Build Forum". Unless I wanna get rocks thrown at me.
    I could always claim I'm trying to build a more lightweight AR.. Lol

~ Sam Houston

~ Sam Adams

Page 70 of 109 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast