Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SBR/AR Pistol backpack - muzzle up or down

Feedback Score

SBR/AR Pistol backpack - muzzle up or down

So I have a Blackhawk "board bag backpack" on order. I have been researching these types of bags for a good 3 months and one thing I noticed is a lot of these things are showing the rifles oriented with the muzzle down when they are being carried in a backpack. I know there are varying opinions on this subject but wouldn't it make more sense to carry it muzzle up when it is on your back. I mean, that is how I almost always carry a rifle when it is on a sling on my back so why not do it the same in the backpacks? it would be less wear on the bottom of the bag and the gun wouldn't have to be supported by one of those "muzzle pockets" that hang off the Molle inside the bags. muzzle up or down, they are both safe methods of carrying on your back. You would think you would be less self conscious about setting the bag down (leaning it up against something) if the stock was at the base instead of the muzzle.

just thinking out loud.

what do you think?

anyone else have this bag or a similar one?

http://www.blackhawk.com/Products/Ba...oard-Pack.aspx
    Last edited by U&A; 03-18-15 at 09:46.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    If you're seperating the upper and lower, then you want the muzzle down to keep the BCG and CH from falling out of the upper. If your bag holds the pistol or whatever without seperating them, then it's preference and doesn't much matter. When I split my receivers, I put the stock and the muzzle at the bottom of the bag.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by t15 View Post
    If you're seperating the upper and lower, then you want the muzzle down to keep the BCG and CH from falling out of the upper. If your bag holds the pistol or whatever without seperating them, then it's preference and doesn't much matter. When I split my receivers, I put the stock and the muzzle at the bottom of the bag.
    I guess I didn't specify that. My gun will fit in without braking it down. do you carry it around in your backpack a lot?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by U&A View Post
    I guess I didn't specify that. My gun will fit in without braking it down. do you carry it around in your backpack a lot?
    And I should have mentioned that I do not own or have used the bag in question. If it was me, I would probably put in the bag muzzle up so if the bag is dropped, the stock takes the abuse and not your muzzle.

However, it sounds like the weapon would be supported in the bag and with some padding, probably is not an issue. Whatever works for you, if it deploys from the bag faster muzzle down, then rock on!

Feedback Score
    I will most likely carry it muzzle up. what bag do you have and do you like it?

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Muzzle up for me.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Up for me as well
    "The most important rule in a gunfight is: Always win and cheat if necessary." ~ Clint Smith

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I would personally want it oriented so I could grab it by the pistol grip to pull it out of the bag and prepare to use it. If that meant orienting it muzzle down, that's how I would carry it. I do the same thing with any case, lockbox, etc. I place the weapon so it's oriented in a manner that makes it easy to grab it by the pistol grip with my primary firing hand.

Dave

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ACR_Scout View Post
    I would personally want it oriented so I could grab it by the pistol grip to pull it out of the bag and prepare to use it. If that meant orienting it muzzle down, that's how I would carry it. I do the same thing with any case, lockbox, etc. I place the weapon so it's oriented in a manner that makes it easy to grab it by the pistol grip with my primary firing hand.

Dave
    very good point.

Most would likely grab their holstered pistol and follow up with a mag change if I need to do anything VERY fast as that is faster than removing a backpack from your back, un-zipping and unstrapping a gun from a backpack in the first place.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Maybe a dumb question... AR pistol concealed with a permit I understand but can you conceal an SBR? I guess technically a backpack is no different than a conventional case if the weapon is not loaded.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast