Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BCG relacement ?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a308garand View Post
    If you go with a protected firing pin bolt carrier (m16) I think you need to upgrade your hammer as well. The old standard unprotected bolt carrier was teamed up with a hammer having a notch cut-out. Does anyone have problems running a notch cut hammer and protected firing pin bolt carrier?
    I am not an expert but I don't think this is true. (And you probably would run afoul of the ATF no full auto parts bit)

DD sells their upper with a semi BCG with shrouded FP. LMT's semi BCG also has the shroud if I remember right
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Iraqgunz,

Just to clarify - you are saying I need to confirm headspace when replacing BCG?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a308garand View Post
    Does anyone have problems running a notch cut hammer and protected firing pin bolt carrier?
    No. Didn't we cover this yesterday?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Just a little piece of advice. If you are referring to bolt carrier groups- i.e. the bolt and carrier complete don't forget a good headspace gauge. Especially if you are mixing manufacturers.
    This is good advice when you start to swap new bolts into old barrels. Ideally, you would want to get a 5.56mm "Field Gauge" from Brownells. Proper use will tell you if the headspace between the new bolt and chamber are within spec., and it's easy and the gauges are around $25.00

There was a lot of talk about this on this forum in the past and if you do a search on Headspace, you will find a lot of good info.

Feedback Score
    I ordered something from Bravo Company a while back and had a small issue with the order. I had to send something back, at first I was not happy paying the extra $5 return shipping, then when my package came back around to me Paul had tossed an extra USGI 30 rd mag into the box. More than made up for my out of pocket expense.

Pleased to do business with them, I have been looking out for a BCM thread to toss that into.

Also, before I made my order, we went back and forth on email with my asking questions about products. I got swift answers every time. Really a good place to send your dollars.

Feedback Score
    You should not have any headspace issues with putting a new bolt in a used barrel. Since the locking lugs wear both ways, headspace should be slightly tighter with a new bolt. Problems arise when you couple a used bolt with a different used barrel, because wear patterns won't be identical.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Sorry, I have to disagree. If you are swapping bolts between uppers whether they are new or used you should be checking the headspace. Of course, I repair and inspect weapons to the TM or OEM standard so maybe it's just me.

We are talking about a gauge that is not Unobtanium and fairly cheap. To me it just makes good sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TheActivePatriot View Post
    You should not have any headspace issues with putting a new bolt in a used barrel. Since the locking lugs wear both ways, headspace should be slightly tighter with a new bolt. Problems arise when you couple a used bolt with a different used barrel, because wear patterns won't be identical.

Feedback Score
    Checking the headspace is just cheap insurance. It should not be an issue with a new bolt, but it takes a minute so there is no harm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12