Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How hard is it to put together?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    For working on AKs I just use a beat up old mag as a mag block (and don't use that mag for anything else).
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post
    For working on AKs I just use a beat up old mag as a mag block (and don't use that mag for anything else).
    The perfect use for a tight, non drop free mag.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sewvacman View Post
    I've been looking on all the usual sites and, for instance, you can buy a complete LMT m4 from G&R for $1250. Or you can buy the upper and lower seperately, get the 2stage trigger and sopmod stock, and be in around $1000. Plus I wouldn't have to have the upper sent to my ffl and be charged sales tax on the upper. Can I really screw up a whole lot, or is it really a lot to just put the upper and lower together?
    It's easier than falling off of a bike.

Ok, it isn't that easy, but it is pretty simple. Insert CH and BCG into the upper, push the two pins on the lower to the right, drop upper onto lower, align holes, push pins to the left. Done.

Tools required- at least one hand with two or more fingers attached.

This is the easiest way to save $100 on a rifle.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    The perfect use for a tight, non drop free mag.
    dammit, I passed on my cousin's old GI mags he was trying to get rid of. I think he just trashed them!

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Could a guy take an old mag and fill it with resin to make it more stable?
    "It is better to be a Warrior in a Garden than a Gardner in a War"
    Let's use the First Amendment to protect the Second so we can avoid using the Second to protect the First.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Actually I have been using crappy Yugo mags. After a while they get tweaked and then I end up tossing them.

Quote Originally Posted by gotm4 View Post

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Spring tools combination center punch/ nail set

I was feeling adventurous so I did a trial run staking my receiver end plate with a Spring Tools combination center punch/ nail set found here:

http://www.springtools.com/gShop/Gro...8-c675b2061c91

This was the result.

Due to my poor choice in lining up the initial hit, I was stuck staking a little off center, but I think it should hold up well.

I like using Spring Tools because I could be using a hammer one handed, with my left hand behind my back and still find a way to smash my left thumb with the damned hammer. These eliminate the hammer for most light duty punching and marking. They also make a self centering roll pin punch set that I'm tempted to pick up since they're a breeze to use. Anybody else have experience with these?

SS

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    What do you do, just push in on them? twist' em? what? They look neat and look as though they did a pretty good job. Reasonably priced.
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    you just center your punch where you want it, and pull up on the opposite end of the tool, there is a spring connecting both ends (hence the name). When you let go of the back end, the tool slams together driving the tip into whatever you're marking. The only problem I had with it was using the tool in low light and not doing a test punch to insure that the tool wouldn't jump around.

They can be had for around 10 bucks plus shipping on Amazon.com or you can order them directly from springtools.com

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Right now I'm looking at a noveske upper that does not come with the bolt carrier group or charging handle. I found an lmt bolt carrier group and a gas busting charging handle. Is the bolt carrier group difficult to assemble and do I need or want a gas busting charging handle?
    More videos on youtube would be great. The one on assembling a lower showed me that is it relatively easy, it's just knowing where the parts go.
    Right now I've priced a basic LMT upper and lower together for about $850. I might do an LMT lower with a noveske upper which would run about $1050. Depends on the fundslow situation at the end of the month.
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast