Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to New Noveske Gen III Rifles

Feedback Score

Changes to New Noveske Gen III Rifles

Just got a second Noveske. A new (December, 2014 build) Gen III Recon. I've noticed a few changes compared to my other Gen III that was built in April, 2014. I am NOT complaining about these changes. I am merely noting them.

New roll marks on upper receiver and hand guard:

Lower now has a tensioning screw, like Mega and Rainier Arms:

And the picatinny rail's edges are now scalloped for some reason...

OLD:

NEW:

Feedback Score
    Interesting stuff. I don't know how I feel about the scalloping. Is the NSR scalloped like that? Don't care for the Noveske on the upper. SIG also does a tensioning screw like that.

Thanks for sharing. Full photos?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by .46caliber; 01-04-15 at 23:02.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    The scalloping is seen on DD rails too. I like it. It also shaves some weight I imagine

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Yeah, I've seen the scalloping before. It's probably to shave weight like said above. I really like how the upper receivers are the same profile as the NSR's. Nice touch.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by .46caliber View Post
    Interesting stuff. I don't know how I feel about the scalloping. Is the NSR scalloped like that? Don't care for the Noveske on the upper. SIG also does a tensioning screw like that.

Thanks for sharing. Full photos?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
    Yes, the NSR is also scalloped on the new rifle. It is not on the older one.

At this time I do not have a full photo of the new rifle. But from a distance it looks exactly like my other one (except for the scope and different barrel—my new one is stainless, other one is CHF):

Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    The scalloping is seen on DD rails too. I like it. It also shaves some weight I imagine
    I'm no expert, but I doubt it reduces weight in any appreciable amount. I'd guess MAYBE... 25-50 grams at most? It's not a lot of material.

Quote Originally Posted by Onyx Z View Post
    Yeah, I've seen the scalloping before. It's probably to shave weight like said above. I really like how the upper receivers are the same profile as the NSR's. Nice touch.
    Yeah, that's part of why I went with Noveske. Yes, it's a gun and a tool. But I have an appreciation for good design and I like how the hand guard's profile blends nicely into the receiver. That's also why I dislike the new NOVESKE type on the upper. It's too big and quite gaudy.

Feedback Score
    This is the last part I'm looking for, a Noveske GenIII Upper Receiver but the first models without all the roll marks, I already have a 16.7" NSR and nothing else will fit it better then this. My second option was a Mega. Just found out they do not sell just the upper so I may just have to buy a complete and use the parts on another one.
    Last edited by BurntMetal; 01-05-15 at 00:46.

Feedback Score
    51 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post

I'm no expert, but I doubt it reduces weight in any appreciable amount. I'd guess MAYBE... 25-50 grams at most? It's not a lot of material.
    Im not saying much at all. But you know these ounce counters we have here. I can't imagine what benefit it would create other than weight because it would increase machining time I'm sure. It looks nicer than a straight line too I guess.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by steyrman13 View Post
    Im not saying much at all. But you know these ounce counters we have here. I can't imagine what benefit it would create other than weight because it would increase machining time I'm sure. It looks nicer than a straight line too I guess.
    Yeah, it does look nicer. Not sure why Noveske chose to make the change though. As you say, it probably increases machine time and labor. Same with the tension screw.

Feedback Score
    Yeah, it does look nicer. Not sure why Noveske chose to make the change though. As you say, it probably increases machine time and labor. Same with the tension screw.
    Because the details count and we pay top dollar for parts with thought, detail and aesthetics.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Because the laser engraved "Noveske" on the right side of the upper is not enough to identify mfg?

IMO,As far as the tension screw, the lower receiver machining specifications can be a bit more liberal & any slop can be taken up with the screw.

In either case, I'm not a fan of the changes.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast