Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Adj. gas block vs heavier buffer for suppressed use.

Feedback Score

Adj. gas block vs heavier buffer for suppressed use.

What's the general consensus on using an adjustable gas block vs using a heavier buffer or an a5 kit with an h3 or h4 buffer?

Upper in question is a bcm elw 16" mid length barrel and a spikes bcg. Just bought the m4-2000 on 1/15 so I'm going to go ahead and get everything set up for suppressed use. Intending on using the rifle suppressed at least 80% of the time.

Was planning on getting the bcm a5 and an h2 or better anyways but wanted some opinions of this that have messed with this kind of stuff.

Any help is appreciated!

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Before answering your question, I think you need to look into the effects of putting a suppressor on an ELW barrel.

While it certainly won't kill you, it is not the most ideal setup and you can expect pretty large POI swings going back and forth. I even notice a big difference on an 11.5" LW compared to a standard profile 10.3".

The designer of the ELW profile has even stated the same. I'd find the thread but I am on my phone.

To answer your question, I would go with both an A5 and a Syrac adjustable block. The A5 is the new standard.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 01-17-15 at 05:07.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Before answering your question, I think you need to look into the effects of putting a suppressor on an ELW barrel.

While it certainly won't kill you, it is not the most ideal setup and you can expect pretty large POI swings going back and forth. I even notice a big difference on an 11.5" LW compared to a standard profile 10.3".

The designer of the ELW profile has even stated the same. I'd find the thread but I am on my phone.

To answer your question, I would go with both an A5 and a Syrac adjustable block. The A5 is the new standard.
    What Eurodriver said. Std A5 buffer and a Syrac gen 2 or SLR Sentry series set screw, melonited.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    That's the first I've heard of the SLR Sentry, and that looks mighty nice. I like that it is a bit more simple than the Syrac.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Adj. gas block vs heavier buffer for suppressed use.

My consensus of one is that it is cheaper, faster and requires less manual dexterity to throw in a new buffer vs. doing the gas block swap.

However, for 80% suppressed if you need the gas block it is probably a smart thing to do. I would see how it shoots first, before making that trip.

ETA: if I am building up a lower I always use the A5 as there are very few reasons not to use one.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 01-17-15 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post

If you can, could you get me the link of when the designer said that the elw profile is not ideal for suppressed use? I'm not saying you're wrong or anything, I would just like the reading material!
    I wish micro moa would release the govnah for 625 barrels

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Also, does anyone happen to know if either of those adjustable gas blocks will fit unobstructed under the KMR rail? Also, which model would be needed for my SBR. Im running an 11.5" BCM BFH SBR with 10" KMR and run it suppressed almost always. There is significant gas blow back and I want to reduce the wear and tear as much as possible.

Also saw that Gemtech is releasing a new BCG designed to eliminate the need for an adjustable gas block, but it is pricey at $250.

Thanks.
    Last edited by bjw182005; 01-17-15 at 11:19.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjw182005 View Post
    Also, does anyone happen to know if either of those adjustable gas blocks will fit unobstructed under the KMR rail? Also, which model would be needed for my SBR. Im running an 11.5" BCM BFH SBR with 10" KMR and run it suppressed almost always. There is significant gas blow back and I want to reduce the wear and tear as much as possible.

Thanks.
    I have the same set up with the SLR Sentry premium gas block that's under a KMR. 1500 suppressed rounds through it to date and no issues. I run it suppressed 99 percent of the time. H2 and car spring with gas block open 4 clicks from closed. Runs like a champ with and without the can and 5.56 ammo.
    Philippians 4:13

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I have the same set up with the SLR Sentry premium gas block that's under a KMR. 1500 suppressed rounds through it to date and no issues. I run it suppressed 99 percent of the time. H2 and car spring with gas block open 4 clicks from closed. Runs like a champ with and without the can and 5.56 ammo.
    Does the gas block have any clearance issues with the KMR rail? Any contact? Is it a simple clamp on or does it require any dimpling on the barrel to install? Did you go with the Sentry 6, 7 ,8 and clamp on or set screwed?

Thanks again.
    Last edited by bjw182005; 01-17-15 at 11:33.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bjw182005 View Post
    Does the gas block have any clearance issues with the KMR rail? Any contact? Is it a simple clamp on or does it require any dimpling on the barrel to install? Did you go with the Sentry 6, 7 ,8 and clamp on or set screwed?

Thanks again.
    Sentry 7 set screw under a KMR. No clearance issues. Plenty of room on all sides.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast