Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to New Noveske Gen III Rifles

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump_rrr View Post
    I built a Gen I Afghan with a 13.5" NSR and I'm in the process of completing 2 other Gen II's.
    The first Gen II has an 11" NSR on an 8.5" barrel and a KX-5 burried in the hand guard. (Barrel on the way)
    The second Gen II is an 18" for 3 Gun and I've been looking for a 16.7" NSR for nearly a year without success.

Anybody know where I can pick up a 16.7" NSR?
    I just picked my 16.7" NSR up from Midway, they get them in stock every 2-3 weeks and I had my notification up for "In Stock". They usually sell out in 1 day so if you missed the E-mail you might have to reinstate the notifications. Took me 3 tries to get my hands on one.

Feedback Score
    You are correct , I used to work for a major firearm manufacture before being laid off . Most manufacture have different vendors making there lowers and uppers or if they run short they have back up vendors . They got tired of customers calling up and saying my upper is loose and has to much slop . Placing the adjustment screw or the (band aid which it truly is ) will stop the customers from calling . More and more manufactures are going to be doing this in the future.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BurntMetal View Post
    I just picked my 16.7" NSR up from Midway, they get them in stock every 2-3 weeks and I had my notification up for "In Stock". They usually sell out in 1 day so if you missed the E-mail you might have to reinstate the notifications. Took me 3 tries to get my hands on one.
    Unfortunately MidwayUSA doesn't ship to your northern neighbors.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gotuinmysights View Post
    You are correct , I used to work for a major firearm manufacture before being laid off . Most manufacture have different vendors making there lowers and uppers or if they run short they have back up vendors . They got tired of customers calling up and saying my upper is loose and has to much slop . Placing the adjustment screw or the (band aid which it truly is ) will stop the customers from calling . More and more manufactures are going to be doing this in the future.
    I thought noveske machines all their receivers in-house? I figured they just loosened up their tolerances for whatever reason and compensated with the screw.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FourT6and2 View Post
    I thought noveske machines all their receivers in-house? I figured they just loosened up their tolerances for whatever reason and compensated with the screw.
    I don't doubt they have the capability, but it's probably easier/smarter if partners elsewhere in the industry already making stuff that either meets or can have a proprietary to NR variant of that would make parts, and that's probably the thing that accounts for most of the variations in Noveske complete rifles over time.

I can see the internal derp screw having value to enough people it makes sense to install - for my part the ONLY thing about my pile of GenII lowers is that they're picky about which uppers they assemble/disassemble without tools on, because the fitment is really tight and devoid of slop.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Thump_rrr View Post
    Unfortunately MidwayUSA doesn't ship to your northern neighbors.
    Really?! I thought CA had the worst antishooter laws or restrictions but I guess not in some ways!

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Gen3 is supposedly done in house. Gen2 was not.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm not a fan of those tensioning gizmos. I take them out/don't install them if I have a lower with that feature.

That's a nice looking gun though.
    The manufacturers I know who do that do it for people who will mix/match uppers to their lowers. It allows a Colt upper that might otherwise be a bit loose, to be tight, for those who care. I doubt Noveske even uses the tensioning screws. Their uppers and lowers should fit without undue "wiggle" just fine, considering they now machine both in house, I believe. Manufacturers that I know who use them simply back them out and leave them there "as an easter-egg" for the above listed reason. Don't fiddle with other uppers? Leave it be. Do? Leave it be or use it. Your call.

For $24-2700, though, I think that tensioning screws that provide OPTIONS at zero functionality cost, scallops, etc. are par for the course and need to be included.

I personally feel like the Noveske Gen III is a great looking piece, as well. Mostly because like others said, the rail/upper interface is so aesthetically pleasing.

Another thing I would note is that they seem to be working on trimming the weight down on their rifles. I really REALLY like that.

I have not yet gotten my Noveske back from Noveske, to comment on function, but their customer service has thus far taken care of me. I had a CS issue that spanned John Noveske's passing, and Tim's taking over of Noveske. Thus far, I have been treated politely, and noone has dropped a ball. It took a while to get rolling, but I have been very pleased with how they have kept it rolling through the management changes. I look forward to getting my Noveske back, and seeing how she does! (The ATF has been the slow-down, here. It has not taken Noveske THAT long to replace my weapon. ATF paperwork is stick in the mud).

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehLlama View Post
    I don't doubt they have the capability, but it's probably easier/smarter if partners elsewhere in the industry already making stuff that either meets or can have a proprietary to NR variant of that would make parts, and that's probably the thing that accounts for most of the variations in Noveske complete rifles over time.

I can see the internal derp screw having value to enough people it makes sense to install - for my part the ONLY thing about my pile of GenII lowers is that they're picky about which uppers they assemble/disassemble without tools on, because the fitment is really tight and devoid of slop.
    The Gen II guns were out of house. Uppers from VLTOR, lowers from...someone else.
    The Gen II lowers have caused Noveske considerable grief, and myself as well. I would guess that Noveske went to the Gen III changes because it allowed EVERYTHING to be made in-house so that out of spec lowers are not something that Noveske has to hold others accountable---and take the hit---for. They can control that and make sure they are made to spec. VLTOR uppers are also no-longer a supply choke-point, either, as Noveske makes their own.

I am very happy to see Noveske making chips in the machine shop. I think that quality and consistency is going to show that this was a good move for everyone.

I bet their tolerances are tighter than ever. You meant to say CLEARANCES, I believe. However, I am thinking they are probably dead-on within mil-spec, with the very tight tolerances that CNC allows, and that Noveske does what others do and just backs the tensioning screw all the way off, because the upper and lower CNC'ed in the same "house" should in no-way need a tensioning screw to not flop around. It's there for mix/match/lower-only sales (and why have 2 lowers, one for individual sale, one for complete rifles?)
    Last edited by WS6; 01-06-15 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Yes, with the tension screw, tolerances can be sloppier. The gap between the upper and lower on this rifle is much larger than my other one. The screw is a band-aid fix in my opinion and lets them get away with looser fitting receivers. Not a big deal at the end of the day—there is no wobble or rattle or anything (because of the screw). But it's weird to me Noveske would choose to do this. Easier to manufacture? Quicker? Less labor? I don't know. I doubt it was customer demand. Because with tight fitting receivers, there shouldn't be a need for a tensioning screw in the first place. But maybe over time and with wear on the mating surfaces, the receivers loosen up? Again, I'm just guessing. And I'm not complaining. I'm ok with it I guess. The rifle works.
    My fault for replying before I saw this on the bottom of page #2.

Are you saying they actually used the tensioning screw to achieve fitment on a complete gun?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast