Thread: Seekins / Blackwood Arms / WOA side charging, 18" build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Seekins / Blackwood Arms / WOA side charging, 18" build

Wanted to share my first build with you guys and also say thank you to all the members that have contributed so much to this forum. For months I have been quietly going through a ton of the threads, researching for this build, etc and have found the wealth of knowledge contained here invaluable. So much so that I decided not to start out with a base and just build from the ground up trying to cherry pick parts to make what I hope to be a very bad ass and functional rifle.

Upper:
    Lantac Dragon Brake - Seems to be one of the more effective recoil reduction brakes. Also have a qd "blast mitigation device" being released soon to throw the shockwave/noise forward but still work some.
    Precision Armament Accu-Washer Muzzle Device Alignment System - 1/2-28 - Get timing and torque perfect without a crush washer.
    SLR Stainless Sentry 7 set screw Gas Block- Melonite QPQ - Liked the idea of adjusting gas to just enough for minimum recoil and carbon. The leaf spring/plunger design seemed smart and wanted to give it a try.
    Seekins melonited gas tube, rifle length
    White Oak Armament 18" .223 Wylde SPR barrel - 1-7 twist, SS, Rifle length gas. Flute and AO blast service. Cerakoted Armor Black - Rifle length gas for lower dwell time/chamber pressures. 1-7 for the heavier ammo. Wylde chambered for tighter tolerances.
    SLR 16.5" Solo Handguard M-Lok, 7075 Barrel Nut - Longest rail possible to have grips far forward while still having rail space available all 4 sides up front. Can still reach gas adjust with hex
    Blackwood Billet Ambi Side Charging Upper, NiB BCG - Like the ergonomics of side charging handles over traditional charging. Also using a molybdenum dry lube on the BCG to minimize debris buildup since the upper is so much more open compared to others.

Lower:
    Seekins Precision SBA 15 lower - Perfect, quality lower for my needs - ambi bolt catch since I have a shaved bolt catch release in stock location for side charging handle clearance. Lower also doesnt have an ambi mag release which was important (CA nono).
    JP Silent Captured Buffer Spring - Very low spring noise, makes for a super smooth action but is heavy compared to spec.
    V7 Titanium Buffer Retainer w/ spring
    Timney AR-15 3lbs skeletonized trigger group (.152-.157 pin size) - Self encapsulated package/frame that feels very solid because of the tighter mechanics. Trigger pull is very light and crisp.
    KNS Precision Gen 2 Non-Rotating Trigger/Hammer Pins - .154" pins
    Battle Arms Ambi Safety - stnd throw, short levers
    RaddLock AR15/AR10 California Bullet Button Fixed Magazine Release
    BCM Magazine Catch
    V7 Titanium Pivot/Takedown pin set - Black w/ springs, detents
    Ergo grip -Suregrip, ambi, black (w/ grip bolt)
    Magpul UBR collapsible stock, receiver extension (no castle nut req) - Superior lockup.
    Magpul UBR Aluminum strike plate
    Magpul enhanced rubber butt-pad, 0.7"

Sight/Optic:
    Vortex Razor HD Gen II 1-6x24mm Riflescope w/VMR-2 Illuminated MRAD - .15MRAD(.5MOA) dot! Nothing else but good things to say other than weight.
    Vortex Switchview SV-3 Throw Lever, 49mm
    AADMount Flip Up Cap Set
    LaRue Tactical SPR / M4 Scope Mount QD , 30mm rings
    KAC 300 Meter Flip-Up Rear Sight - These came over from another rifle. They are very low profile, small and work well which is all icing on the cake because the horseshoe/ring combo is my favorite type of iron sight.
    KAC Micro Front Flip Up Sight

Other
    Atlas Bipod BT46-NC w/ LaRue LT271 QD
    Fenix PD35 Tactical Flashlight 2014 - 960 lumens These make surefires look like a straight up rip! Push button in back in perfect location for use with how I grip AFG.
    Wyoming Arms PD35 Body assembly / rail adapter
    Magpul AFG Angled fore grip - Prefer the over molded corners in the forward grip of the original AFG so sticking with it.
    Magpul AFG-2 M-LOK Adapter Rail
    KAC URX 3 & 3.1 long panel kit - Mounted grips upside down for better grip with the way the SLR hand guard is designed and for AFG clearance.
    Magpul M-LOK T-Nut Replacement Set x 2
    LaRue index clips - Use these every other picatinny slot on forward part of top rail for a nice thumb stop
    ALG Defense QD sling swivel
    Magpul MS3 Sling GEN 2 - Stealth Grey- This sling and adapter setup gives benefits of 1 and 2 point sling. The quick adjust slide also feels like a necessity for 1 to 2 point transitions.
    Magpul MS1 - MS3-QD Adapter - Stealth Grey

Magpul Gen M3 Pmag 30 - Pinned/10rd
    Magpul Gen M3 Pmag 20 - Pinned/10rd
    Last edited by Deftronix; 03-05-15 at 11:11. Reason: Add comments

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Nice build, fellow Cali! What's your final build weight?

Feedback Score
    Thanks JB, appreciate it. She is a bit thick - 8.4lbs naked (no mag, optics, light, sling) but I think thats pretty decent considering the build includes ubr, 18" SS barrel and 16" guard. Loaded out shes 11lbs, but the scope and light are worth it imo . These are rough numbers, scale is probably not that accurate, hopefully reporting on the heavy side .

Feedback Score
    What influenced your decision to go with the side charger?
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    I prefer the ergonomics of the side charging upper. I find it more natural/fluid to hold the pistol grip while charging in any position bench/prone/carry. It also allows you to charge much more easily while in shooting position since you dont have to break your cheek weld, etc. to charge. The configuration is also very flexible, I can run a handle on one side or the other or both depending on the day and is as simple as unscrewing the handle with an allen wrench.

The only down side I see is that the handles reciprocate so you just have to be more aware of things around the rifle itself. Debris build up could also be an issue in extreme locations since the BCG is much more exposed to the elements than a traditional upper but should not cause me a headache due to where I am at, just a little extra cleaning.

Lastly, I wanted to do something somewhat unique and support a company that seemed to care very much about the quality of their product. I have never seen a logo engraved so perfectly into any part. The level of machining detail and thickness tolerances is superior to anything else I have seen and hints at the time and effort that went into the rest of the upper. If it is not superior milling/engraving equipment they are using compared to other manufactures then they sure are slowing down the milling speed on production to ensure best quality. I just wish more companies would offer a PTFE teflon anodizing like they do, it seems like a much better finish, just doesnt match type III ano very well.
    Last edited by Deftronix; 01-06-15 at 12:32.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    WOW...nice! I wish they made those handguards in a 7" they look awesome & light