Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Magpul PMAG D-60

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
    I saw nowhere in the instruction that says I CANNOT use this with 300blk ammunition. I asked for an exchange but I do not own a 5.56 rifle so I guess if they do repair or replace it for me, it will sit unused in the vault until I can get around to ordering a new barrel or new upper.

Just a heads up for anyone that might want to buy a D60 for sole 300blk usage, YMMV.
    It says it's a 556/223 magazine everywhere. There are many rounds that will *usually* work in a 556 mag, but it's not up to the manufacturers to tell users what rounds that a mag is *not* designed for.

I expect Magpul will replace it, but a simple google search for "Magpul d60 300 blackout" would've told you all you needed to know before purchasing specifically for that purpose.
    aka, "TWANGnBANG"

Feedback Score
    Well, if you would do the same search you just told me to do, you will also see people who had successfully ran 300blk through the drum without problems, so what would you have me base my conclusion from?

In fact, this thread is the first time I've specifically seen a Magpul representative say it "specifically" DOES NOT work with 300blk. On their website, it says "*Optimized for use only with 5.56x45 NATO/.223 Remington cartridges. Use with other calibers such as .300 AAC Blackout is not recommended." I obviously missed that single line in the dozens of line of text, or I would not have made the purchase.

Also, my dozen or so PMAG's all say 556/223 on them as well and I never had a single problem getting 30rds of 300blk ammunition in them(this is what I unfortunately based my purchase off of). If it was more clear that this PMAG drum was unlike their other PMAG and 300blk ammunition would NOT WORK like it does in their other PMAGs, I simply wouldn't have purchased it as I don't own a 5.56/.223.

I have taken responsibility for breaking the PMAG D60, as I know for a fact it was brand new and didn't have plastic pieces rattling inside of it when I opened it. I just feel like it should be more clear in that it doesn't have the same clearance as other PMAG's and that loading it with ANYTHING OTHER than 556/223 could cause it to not only not function(no big deal), but to also possibly break all the internal workings of it to where it can't be returned or resold or simply used for 556/223 only.

Hopefully MAGPUL will take care of me, if not, all I can do is shrug, as I am already all-in with a dozen of so of their 30rd 556/223 PMAG's which have worked flawlessly.

Feedback Score
    "On their website, it says "*Optimized for use only with 5.56x45 NATO/.223 Remington cartridges. Use with other calibers such as .300 AAC Blackout is not recommended." I obviously missed that single line in the dozens of line of text, or I would not have made the purchase."

Always a good idea to read carefully.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmalkald View Post
    "On their website, it says "*Optimized for use only with 5.56x45 NATO/.223 Remington cartridges. Use with other calibers such as .300 AAC Blackout is not recommended." I obviously missed that single line in the dozens of line of text, or I would not have made the purchase."

Yep, finding out the hard way, which is why I posted. I have been a long time lurker, just thought I'd post and give anyone a heads up just in case that fail at reading like me.

Although I will state, nowhere does it say "Do not use anything other than 556/223 ammunition as it could bind inside of the drum and permanently break it". This would normally be a no-brainer for any other caliber and not need to be said, except for the fact that 300 blackout uses the same parent cartridge as the 556/223 and works fine in all their other 556/223 magazines. Also, the ammo I was loading is almost exactly the same overall length as a friends factory loaded remington 223 ammunition. It's got to be a problem with the neck of the cartridge or girth of the projectile, not length.
    Last edited by Sandstorm; 06-20-16 at 17:00.

Feedback Score
    Interesting, because this is posted on Magpuls website on the D-60 product page specifications-

"Use with other calibers such as .300 AAC Blackout is not recommended."

Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm View Post
    I learning the hard way that these apparently don't work with 300 blackout ammunition, I guess I didn't put much thought into it considering my 300 blackout rounds all load fine in standard PMAG 30's.

I grabbed a 50rd box of Ozark 300blk 110gr Hollow Points and started to load the PMAG D60. About 11 rounds into loading it, it was becoming harder to load. The instructions mentioned this might happen when you get to the end, and you just need to ratchet the lever 1 or 2 extra times. On my 3rd pull of the ratcheting system, something internally snapped and all the rounds on the guide went limp.

I managed to dump the 11 rounds out of the drum and disassembled the drum and there were several broken plastic pieces rattling around inside.

I have sent a email to them to see if this would be covered under warranty but haven't heard anything back in 2 business days. Although I guess I am the one to blame, I hope their excellent customer service they supposedly have will take care of me as I saw nowhere in the instruction that says I CANNOT use this with 300blk ammunition. I asked for an exchange but I do not own a 5.56 rifle so I guess if they do repair or replace it for me, it will sit unused in the vault until I can get around to ordering a new barrel or new upper.

Just a heads up for anyone that might want to buy a D60 for sole 300blk usage, YMMV.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    OK, I finally got a D60. This thing very cool.

Now here is my problem. No bolt hold open. Not with a empty mag or after firing it. I have used it with 10 different Lowers and 10 uppers. No luck. And yes I read the entire instruction manual, that is why I know on the back page it says it is supposed to work....

Any ideas?
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Well, that's certainly not right. We've got a new CS contact system in place, so if you use the form or call in, the response times are pretty quick now, so we'll swap it out for you. I've seen the hold open not work 100% with out of spec bolt catches, but across 10 guns--there's something up with that drum.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmalkald View Post

We indeed do not recommend it officially for 300blk, but...we have had good results with it with most loadings. It depends on bullet ogive shape, but most loadings work fine, IF you are very careful in loading. Laying the drum on its back when loading and occasionally smacking the backside to seat the case heads rearward while loading generally gives good results. Usually, if you can get them in this way, they feed flawlessly, but that's not the intended user experience, so we officially say it is not recommended.
    Duane Liptak, Jr.
    Executive Vice President
    Magpul Industries

info@magpulcore.com

This is a personal account linked to a personal e-mail. Company affiliation and titles are provided purely for transparency requirements of the host site. Although factual company information may be shared through this account, any opinions expressed are solely those of the account holder, and not necessarily those of Magpul Industries or subsidiaries.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SPQR476 View Post
    Well, that's certainly not right. We've got a new CS contact system in place, so if you use the form or call in, the response times are pretty quick now, so we'll swap it out for you. I've seen the hold open not work 100% with out of spec bolt catches, but across 10 guns--there's something up with that drum.
    I will give CS a call after the weekend. Thanks for the info.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Hopefully I didn't miss this somewhere in the thread, but are there any new pouch options out there yet for a single drum? I know Magpul has one in the works, but I was hoping for a Multicam MOLLE pouch, maybe something like a SAW pouch. I saw the EGL has one or two designs in the works, but I'm not sure if they're production models yet. Thanks!

Dave

Page 28 of 31 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast