Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Sight Picture - Front Sight Focus is wrong??

Feedback Score

Handgun Sight Picture - Front Sight Focus is wrong??

I just recently watched Frank Proctor's Performance Pistol video and he talks about how you should have all three - target, front sight and rear sight - in equal and clear focus instead of just front sight focus. This is the first time I've heard of this ideology. I've always heard or read about clear front sight, target and rear sight a little blurry and that apparently, our eyes can only focus on one thing at a time. Anybody else able to expound on this?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Perhaps it's just my eyes, but I've never been able to achieve focus on three separate objects of differing distances at the same time. If I'm going for marksmanship, front sight focus has ALWAYS worked for me. The one series of competition I've shot in, was all about accuracy.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Depending on range I would bet the odds of being capable of that kind of depth of field are low. Even from a pure physiological standpoint. I know my eyes can't do it and probably couldn't have done it while I was young. Maybe at close ranges, but stretch out there and crystal clarity at all 3 planes... Not sure. Are you sure you heard right.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    After looking into it a bit, I think I see the connection. From what I've read of the video ( http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=711562 ), there is more to the story than just throwing out front sight focus. DISCLAIMER: I didn't personally watch the video.

Since the video is geared for advnced shooters, I think the point is that your sights are going to be moving so fast, that you shouldn't be taking the time to only focus on the front sight. If you are TOO focused there, it can create "tunnel vision"...something you dont want when engaging multiple targets. I'm not sure how to attain the clear and equal focus, and I'm sure someone with a lot more experience could explain it better, but that's my take.

Feedback Score
    subscribed

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Are you sure you heard right.
    Yes, it was mentioned 2-3 times and there was even text on the video saying the same thing.

Feedback Score
    Just re-watched the part where he talks about it and he says "The way we need to see it, the order I want us to see it... the rear sight, front sight and the target, all of them with the same type of focus. Not a blurry rear sight and a blurry target and a clear front sight but a completely clear focus on all three things... You can have complete focus on all three of those things at the same time. It takes time to blur this out (rear sight), blur that out (target) and make this perfectly clear (front sight). That takes a little time to switch gears and draw focus to one little place, which by the way, this matters too(rear sight) and that matters too (target)." Obviously he's talking about speed here and not bullseye shooting. I just wondered how to achieve this as one always hears about how the eyes cannot focus on more than one thing at a time and it seems contrary to basic marksmanship, re: front sight focus.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The part where he states "...all of them with the same type of focus." makes sense to me and I can see a flash sight picture where nothing was truly clear but you can see enough of each item to align and let the shot go. This obviously assumes that there is enough clarity of target for proper id. I'm lost at the "but a completely clear focus on all three" part. He knows a lot more about shooting than I ever will, but with my crappy eyes completely clear focus only happens in one plane. Across a room nothing is really fuzzy, but only one thing is crystal clear.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    If he can do it he may be the only human that can.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm kind of surprised a SME or IP hasn't responded yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast