Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left handed shooter with a right action Rem 700?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    When I was a sniper on our SWAT team, I started with a right hand 700P and eventually built a LH 700 using the varmiter action that came out several years back. My dad then got a RH 700P and I shot both for awhile. Looking back now, I would stick with the RH gun due to being faster in working the action as mentioned above. Also, if you ever need to get rid of the gun to fund other projects, it is WAY easier to sell/trade a RH gun. Just sayin'.....................

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave L. View Post
    I'm a lefty- and I purposely paid around 5K for GAP to build me a RH M700.
    In my line of work I'll never encounter a LH bolt gun period. All the best accessories are made for RH guns. It's easy for a lefty to operate the weapon- I like being able to see in the chamber with little body movement or movement of the weapon.
    The only awkward thing about shooting LH with a RH bolt gun is standing, kneeling, and sitting; you will have to support the weapon (which is heavy) with your left hand while your right hand operates the bolt...while staying on target.
    Takes practice but it's possible to be just as fast.
    You will be fine with a RH gun.
    I already placed my order with George at GAP. I went with the RH action M40A3. Now the wors part... the wait

Thank you guys for your replies.

Feedback Score
    Does Remington 700 CDL make some left hand models?
    Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God. - Roman 13:1 NKJV

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Notwithstanding the several good reasons for trying a righty action as a LH shooter, for me personally, as a true LH, left-eye dominant shooter, I still want a LH action when I can get one. Currently all my bolt guns are LH actions. If you've done a lot of firing with a "wrong-handed" action, especially in cases when you have to single-load (it's a rule at my current range), it just gets awkward. I end up wanting the port to be on 'my' side of the gun, where my face is, where my dominant hand is, and and where I can see to feed in another round easily. Anyway, I do understand some of the reasons why an opposite-hand action might be preferable for some, but after having tried many RH actions, I always find myself still preferring and performing better with LH.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12