Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help w/ 10.3 10.5 SBR...

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    The last Rainier Arms barrel I looked at (10 days ago) was ported at .071 verified with a set of pin gages.
    This is AMAZING news. My whole SBR is predominantly their products and I wanted to use their barrel this go round as well; due to the accuracy guarantee and warranty. However I dismissed them because in an old thread I saw they were somewhere around .083", I just sent an email to their cs to confirm. Thanks so much for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by Jwknutson17 View Post
    I however, do not adjust mine. I found the sweet spot 4 clicks from closed. H2 buffer, car spring. Runs like a champ with and without a suppressor with 5.56 ammo. Easy solution to buying a different barrel, sending it off, having it cut and back together again.
    I'm ideally trying to accomplish this level of reliability through tuning the port size; or getting lucky right off the bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Defaultmp3 View Post
    Any reason you're not interested in a Switchblock upper? Or what about something like the MicroMOA Govnah? Or, if you're not adverse to piston guns...
    Well I'm in the process of converting my current 300blk SBR upper to 5.56. I don't take advantage of the caliber as much as I thought I would so I'd rather swap barrels instead of buying a new upper. As far as adj. gas blocks, I'm just not a fan of them. I don't like the notion or idea of having to switch it between suppressor use. I understand its certainly not a big deal, but I would just rather tune the gas port and have it function equally reliable. NOW, if after that it is hiccuping or not working properly, than obviously I'll have no choice but to submit to the dark side and throw one on .

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Why is gas port size not published in specs? It is not like it is a secret if they will tell you when you call and e-mail to ask. All these companies do is make it hard on the informed purchaser. Or maybe that is just it, they don't want people to see a spec and not buy there barrel because of it, like thrust the brand not the specs, they know what is best for you. Frustrating.

Are not Noveske's gassed pretty hard across the line? I have heard so and I remember checking gas ports to find my 14.5" mid skinny barrel was .088" while the 14.5" BCM mid ELW-F was .078".

Anybody know the gas post size of Specialized Armament's suppressor only 10" barrels? Arn't they cut Colt carbine barrels?
    Last edited by jerrysimons; 01-15-15 at 12:26.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Why is gas port size not published in specs? It is not like it is a secret if they will tell you when you call and e-mail to ask. All these companies do is make it hard on the informed purchaser. Or maybe that is just it, they don't want people to see a spec and not buy there barrel because of it, like thrust the brand not the specs, they know what is best for you. Frustrating.
    Gun customers are largely retardates. Giving them too much info is torture for the manufacturer or dealer.

Are not Noveske's gassed pretty hard across the line? I have heard so and I remember checking gas ports to find my 14.5" mid skinny barrel was .088" while the 14.5" BCM mid ELW-F was .078".
    Not from what I've seen. But maybe they've had different specs over the years.

Anybody know the gas post size of Specialized Armament's suppressor only 10" barrels? Arn't they cut Colt carbine barrels?
    Specialized is weird about letting smaller ports out the door. I think he's worried that if a right-gassed gun gets into the hands of some moron shooting crap ammo, Specialized or Colt's name will get dragged through the mud on the gun forums.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Tell me about it, LMT just lost $400 from me today. I had their 10.5" barrel assembly in my cart and ready to order but wanted to confirm hearsay regarding their gas port size. I gave them a call and asked directly...the gentleman I spoke with refused to give me that information. He told me they don't publicly release any information relating to dimensions. I explained my reasoning for wanting to know that information and how important it was for me to make sure the gas port was not over sized. He still refused to answer my question directly and merely provided a haphazard assertion that his "personal" 10.5 functions with/without a can.
    Last edited by sidewaysil80; 01-15-15 at 13:15.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewaysil80 View Post
    Tell me about it, LMT just lost $400 from me today. I had their 10.5" barrel assembly in my cart and ready to order but wanted to confirm hearsay regarding their gas port size.
    LMT's port size is pretty well studied and documented. Although I've never measured one myself, I've read enough consistent reports to know that it's going to be around the .071" area.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Fyi ballistic advantage 10.3 hanson has .073

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dentron View Post
    Fyi ballistic advantage 10.3 hanson has .073
    Damn it! They have an "Add FSB" option too. Oh well. I already have a Aero inbound.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I actually pulled out an old Bushmaster 14.5" carbean, and the port is a perfect .071 +/-. I was thrilled! All I had to do was find a lathe monkey. Then I checked the leade and I'm getting like .221 bullet jump. (.147" is 5.56 spec if I remember right)

I couldn't put $50 in cut and thread into a worn barrel like that.
    Ouch. I chose DD because they slightly overgassed their 14.5" which worked just fine for 10.3" to function suppressed and unsuppressed (with an E-carrier)

It obviously was not as nice as a Syrac, but it was great for a "KISS" gas system build.
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Ouch. I chose DD because they slightly overgassed their 14.5" which worked just fine for 10.3"
    Exactly my thoughts.... (cutting down a Carbean to get a reasonable gas port.)

I was toying with cutting a SOCOM barrel for a meaty 10.5, but I can't find someone I trust to do the port work.

Feedback Score
    204 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Exactly my thoughts.... (cutting down a Carbean to get a reasonable gas port.)

I was toying with cutting a SOCOM barrel for a meaty 10.5, but I can't find someone I trust to do the port work.
    Mr Marvin Pitts seems like a pretty trusty man to do the work. I now send everything to him. Never disappointed with his craftsmanship.
    Philippians 4:13

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast