Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: PMAG 17 GL9: PMAG for Glock 9mm

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    not sure I see the point in these. The Glock OEM mags are readily available, inexpensive and extremely reliable. I prefer Pmags for my AR's but really don't see the advantage vs Glock mags.
    When the prices stabilize and come down from msrp, these mags will probably be around half the price of the oem. That's a big deal to me, IF they iron out the kinks, which it seems they have...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by og556 View Post
    I'm impressed they took the initiative to fix this. Instead of inconveniencing the buyers by making them go through an RMA process or something of that nature they are automatically sending out the bodies to replace...
    I had no intention of beating this horse further, but this is a fair point; perhaps that was their thought process.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frailer View Post
    You miss the point.

The point is that if you wish to retain the reputation of being a company that goes "above and beyond" you actually have to go "above and beyond." Magpul is doing exactly what they have to--no more.

I don't know what the production cost of a base plate, spring, and follower are, but it has to be cheaper than a reputation for impeccable quality and customer service.

For the record, there is absolutely no hate here--merely disappointment.
    No, I didn't miss the point. As far I can see it, Magpul is doing exactly what is right and with minimal impact to the consumer. In my opinion, their reputation is only improved by their early recognition of the problem and their immediate solution.

As far as the basepad, follower and spring; I'd wager those three components combined cost significantly more than the body. Not to mention the labor to assemble.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HighDesert View Post
    When the prices stabilize and come down from msrp, these mags will probably be around half the price of the oem. That's a big deal to me, IF they iron out the kinks, which it seems they have...
    saving $10 per mag to get an unknown quality and reliability product is a non starter for me. I own 4 Glocks and somewhere around 40 OEM mags but these are my only CCW pistols. If they were just fun range toys I might could see looking to save a $. From a market standpoint is Magpul targeting these as an alternative to the cheap KCI mags?

Feedback Score
    Given Magpul's reputation for quality I'll likely get a few for GSSF and whatever. The factory supplied mags will be first line for carry but I suspect I can save a fair amount of money and have perfectly fine mags for other times.
    NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member
    Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.
    Common sense is only right wing if you are too far to the left.
    A pistol without a round chambered is an intricate paperweight.
    Stop trying so hard to be offended.

Feedback Score
    You miss the point.

The point is that if you wish to retain the reputation of being a company that goes "above and beyond" you actually have to go "above and beyond." Magpul is doing exactly what they have to--no more.

I don't know what the production cost of a base plate, spring, and follower are, but it has to be cheaper than a reputation for impeccable quality and customer service.

More people would bitch if they had to send the mags back, even if Magpul provided the box, label, tape, and door side pickup. How many complaints do we see about people needing something dumb replaced on X gun and the manufacturer makes them send it back in?

Is this the most cost effective way? Sure. Do I want them personally sending everyone boxes and hiring people to do the warranty/recall process and moving the price up another 40 cents next time around? I'm good, I like my cheap, well made products that are stood behind.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I don't know how the comparison to M9 mags is relevant, but that's neither here nor there.
    That their flawed magazines function with better reliability than government issue "flawless" OEM magazines, perhaps?

I don't think Magpul handled this correctly.

Yes, Magpul manned up and admitted their mistake, but not to put too fine a point on it they really didn't have much choice, and in my book doing the "right thing" is not, in and of itself, commendable.

To fix their error they decided to do the absolute minimum required. Ship me a part and tell me to fix it myself? I expect better from Magpul.
    And what did you expect?

You miss the point.

What - to you - is above-and-beyond in this instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    saving $10 per mag to get an unknown quality and reliability product is a non starter for me. I own 4 Glocks and somewhere around 40 OEM mags but these are my only CCW pistols. If they were just fun range toys I might could see looking to save a $. From a market standpoint is Magpul targeting these as an alternative to the cheap KCI mags?
    I'm sure they are.

Just like their AR-15 mags are only supposed to be as good as Thermold and their AK mags (with or without metal reinforcement) are only supposed to be as good as Tapco. Real men only use H&K steel and Combloc surplus steel respectively.

Last edited by MountainRaven; 04-18-15 at 17:23.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    That their flawed magazines function with better reliability than government issue "flawless" OEM magazines, perhaps?
    Thanks for the explanation.

I interpreted it to mean, "While the mags we shipped don't work like they're supposed to, at least they work better than a completely different magazine that we don't make a version of, so it's not as bad as it could be."

What - to you - is above-and-beyond in this instance?
    More than the minimum. Such as:

- Give consumers a *choice*: new mags, parts, or a refund.

- Replacement mag bodies plus a free extra mag for the hassle.

- Magpul swag.

That's off the cuff, but I don't have a marketing or customer service department. I'm sure those folks would have much better ideas.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    More than the minimum. Such as:

- Give consumers a *choice*: new mags, parts, or a refund.

- Replacement mag bodies plus a free extra mag for the hassle.

- Magpul swag.

That's off the cuff, but I don't have a marketing or customer service department. I'm sure those folks would have much better ideas.
    I'm sure that if you want a refund, you can get a refund. I'm guessing that Magpul's decision was made on the basis that people who bought their magazines actually wanted their magazines.

As for the other two, nobody has received their replacement magazine bodies, yet, so there may just be Magpul swag and additional (completed) magazines in the boxes when the Santa in Brown brings his (or her) big brown, diesel-powered sleigh around.

If that's what you expect them to do, though, you're spoiled IMO.

Shipping out replacement magazine bodies to everyone who got the first run of magazines is not the minimum: It is going above-and-beyond. The minimum is quietly issuing a voluntary recall that requires buyers to send the magazines back - typically on their own dime - some months after the magazines have been in rotation (or years, if your model is Remington), spending the entire interim period blaming the buyer (which you should not be a stranger to if you own a Glock) or the buyer's gun(s) and/or ammunition for the issue(s).
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I'm sure that if you want a refund, you can get a refund. I'm guessing that Magpul's decision was made on the basis that people who bought their magazines actually wanted their magazines.
    I called Magpul, and I was told no refund. I could get a credit, but shipping would be on me. Midway will take my return, (and refund my shipping--great customer service there) and FWIW that's what I'm going to do.

Afor the other two, nobody has received their replacement magazine bodies, yet, so there may just be Magpul swag and additional (completed) magazines in the boxes when the Santa in Brown brings his (or her) big brown, diesel-powered sleigh around.

If that's what you expect them to do, though, you're spoiled IMO.
    You're right, and *if* they do this I'll wave the "awesome customer service" banner. But it's a sad state of affairs when folks are praising a company for simply doing what ethics demands.

Shipping out replacement magazine bodies to everyone who got the first run of magazines is not the minimum: It is going above-and-beyond. The minimum is quietly issuing a voluntary recall that requires buyers to send the magazines back - typically on their own dime - some months after the magazines have been in rotation (or years, if your model is Remington), spending the entire interim period blaming the buyer (which you should not be a stranger to if you own a Glock) or the buyer's gun(s) and/or ammunition for the issue(s).
    If you consider shitty customer service to be "the minimum" we'll have to agree to disagree. I consider "the minimum" acceptable customer service to be rectifying the problem quickly at minimal expense to the company. "Above and beyond" to me means rectifying the problem in a manner that the customer is happy with.

Again, I'm no Magpul hater. I own a lotof their stuff, and I've always been happy with it. I just can't figure how anybody could interpret the current situation to be a positive reflection on the company.
    Last edited by Frailer; 04-18-15 at 18:41. Reason: Typo

Page 20 of 30 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast