Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .22lr drop in kits in AR platform

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kolbren View Post
    I didn't buy anything yet. I was planning on buying just a stripped barrel.
    A stripped barrel??? What is a stripped barrel? Stripped of the gas port?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Primary Arms just had the full CMMG .22 dedicated uppers on sale for $399. They all went but I managed to grab one before they did. Haven't had a chance to put it through its paces yet, but I picked up the Better Mag adapter so I can run the cheap and reliable 15-22 mags plus have reliable last round BHO and BHO after dropping the mag capability.

Check to see if someone else is having a sale on these.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I shot a buddies' kit out of a 7.5 inch piston gun. It ran fine for the 10 shots I fired it. Accuracy sucked but you can't expect much from a .222 projectile running down a .224 bore. I had the piston gas shut off and Op rod removed. I then attempted to turn gas back on and the gas plug was frozen. Had to use pliers to remove the gas plug. My plug had a nice layer of lead on it which was locking it up/in.

Removed kit and will never try again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I built a dedicated 22 training rifle for my daughters using a CMMG barrel, and a blemmed BCM upper. I had a conversion kit that I bought at a very good price - the only problem was that the conversion didn't come with the dedicated barrel collar you need for a dedicated 22 barrel. Another 50.00 and a week or so to get it. It worked fine.

If you are wanting to use a 5.56 barrel and do a pistol build, I'll bet this is the most inexpensive you'll find:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m23-...rrel-with-ext/ (7.5 inch for 99.95)

With this barrel you'll have to install a cheap gas block and install it sideways or upside down over the gas port to seal it. I found one for under 9.00 on amazon.

The CMMG conversion for this costs 167.00 at: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-CMMG22BA6E1

So if you have the other parts you'll be out 275.00.

CMMG sells a dedicated 22lr barrel with bolt for 299.00 (4.5 inch) or 339.00 (9.0 inch) and you would still need to buy at least one mag ($18.95 to $24.95) (the conversion kit comes with one)

The upside is you'll have a lot more accuracy for $50.00 to $90.00 more.

You'll also want to get an anti-jam charging handle $19.95 no matter which way you go.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I built a dedicated 22 training rifle for my daughters using a CMMG barrel, and a blemmed BCM upper. I had a conversion kit that I bought at a very good price - the only problem was that the conversion didn't come with the dedicated barrel collar you need for a dedicated 22 barrel. Another 50.00 and a week or so to get it. It worked fine.

If you are wanting to use a 5.56 barrel and do a pistol build, I'll bet this is the most inexpensive you'll find:

http://www.gmriflebarrel.com/gm-m23-...rrel-with-ext/ (7.5 inch for 99.95)

With this barrel you'll have to install a cheap gas block and install it sideways or upside down over the gas port to seal it. I found one for under 9.00 on amazon.

The CMMG conversion for this costs 167.00 at: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-CMMG22BA6E1

So if you have the other parts you'll be out 275.00.

CMMG sells a dedicated 22lr barrel with bolt for 299.00 (4.5 inch) or 339.00 (9.0 inch) and you would still need to buy at least one mag ($18.95 to $24.95) (the conversion kit comes with one)

The upside is you'll have a lot more accuracy for $50.00 to $90.00 more.

You'll also want to get an anti-jam charging handle $19.95 no matter which way you go.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be putiing together an upper slowly as funds allow. I figured accuracy wouldn't be the greatest but the fun factor would be. (I'm hoping) lol

Feedback Score
    I have the old spikes tactical drop in 22lr kit
    it came with a gas tube blocker thing, I dont even remember what it looks like I got it so long ago
    I think you take off the tube, insert the blocker tube into the gas block, but then you cant ever use 223 after that unless you take out the block to me thats too much work

I just run it without the block on a 223 upper
    ive found at least on my rifle if I had shot over 500 rounds switching back to 223 wouldnt cycle semi auto
    I had to shoot 2-3 223 rounds before it blew out any blockage in the tube
    and I had tried to clean the tube with sprays, even compressed air
    but that would not clear it like 223 would

is this an issue, not for me
    I make it a habit to shoot few rounds of 223 after many rounds of 22lr just to clean it out once in a while

I recently used that same conversion on my 7.5 pistol
    works just the same, and just as accurate up to 50 yards
    any further I notice some bullet drop, but since its just for messing around its not that critical if its off a little far away

just much cheaper to shoot steel or rocks with 22 then 223 and have fun blasting away and still keep the pistol feel of an ar pistol

Feedback Score
    I have an old, old CMMG kit-it must be close to 20 years old. I have an old A1 style upper I was using as a dedicated .22 upper but recently have been using it in my AR pistol with a dedicated red dot. Runs like a champ although it needs to be run fairly wet to avoid FTFs. Just yank out the bolt carrier group, stick in the CMMG and Black Dog 25 round mags and fire away. Accuracy is excellent to 25 yds which is all as far as I've shot it recently at the indoor range.

Feedback Score
    thats why I like my spikes drop in
    has that silver coating on it and barely needs any oil I just put a drop on the rails and thats it
    wipes down clean with a rag, but the original spikes I had took a ton of work to make it function
    then started to wear away from heavy use so they sent me a newer design few years ago that worked out of the box with no mods to it, totally reliable now

not sure if its that nickel boron coating like my 223 bolt carrier uses looks similar to that

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12