Thread: are monolithic rails really worth the extra $$ ?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

are monolithic rails really worth the extra $$ ?

obviously you get a better alignment down the top rail, but it seems to me a properly installed, high quality aftermarket rail could do the same thing for you.
    i'd love a Vltor VIS, but i'm trying to upgrade my AR on a budget. i've got a CMMG/CMT upper right now. i'd like to add a noveske 16.1 middy stainless barrel and a rail setup of some sort.
    basically looking to mount the front sight and a tac light on the rail.

Feedback Score
    Just slap a Troy or Larue rail on there, and you'll be good to go. The MRP's are a thing of beauty, but they are certainly a chunk of change.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    is there any reason to fear flexing of the upper receiver due to the add on rail's heft/accesories...?

i guess i could always get a vltor modular receiver (non-VIS) at a later date.

i'm basically trying to upgrade my carbine without breaking the bank all at once.

when i'm done i should have 2 complete AR15's... one being what i have now, and one with all the bling i desire on it. Which would be great really.. a light KISS gun as well as one that's a bit more decked out.

Feedback Score
    I very seriously doubt that you could ever add enough weight in accessories on the rail to bend it.

People rarely seem to stop at a single AR. Many have several, some have dozens, some have scores of them. They're just plain fun. Perhaps an AR-10 for your third?

Feedback Score
    Yes, to those buy and enjoy them. Pretty simple.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron S. View Post
    I very seriously doubt that you could ever add enough weight in accessories on the rail to bend it.

People rarely seem to stop at a single AR. Many have several, some have dozens, some have scores of them. They're just plain fun. Perhaps an AR-10 for your third?
    i'd love an AR10...

now that i reload i could probably even afford to shoot it.

noveske and DPMS seem to be the top choices for such a creature.

are there issues with a standard rail forend not aligning with the rear sight? i will probably be going with a low profile gas block on the noveske barrel... though i suppose the fixed iron sight has served me well so far....

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skyugo View Post
    are there issues with a standard rail forend not aligning with the rear sight? i will probably be going with a low profile gas block on the noveske barrel... though i suppose the fixed iron sight has served me well so far....
    Nah...that's why they invented adjustable sights.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nah...that's why they invented adjustable sights.
    now they just have to un-invent OCD and it won't bother me if my sight is a few clicks left.

Feedback Score
    Just slap a Troy or Larue rail on there, and you'll be good to go. The MRP's are a thing of beauty, but they are certainly a chunk of change.
    And when you do the math...worth every penny if you want a platform that is always GTG.

One set of BUIS', one Aimpoint, one BC, one bolt, one light and mount, and IF you need to re-barrel all you need is the barrel and a new bolt. about 500.00

With an all new upper, you need the upper, hand guards, a new set of BUIS', a new RDS, a new BC, a new bolt, a new charging handle. About $1300.00 IF you want a carbine that you can grab and go with, WITHOUT having to set it all up with your existing stuff on the new upper, and go Re-Zero it before the SHTF. I can swap barrels on my MRP within 3-5 minutes and my zero is with in .5 MOA.

I'm asking myself the same thing...should I just re-barrel/ re-bolt or do a complete new upper. I've decided to just re-barrel (or at least have a spare on hand).

But...if money was no object, I would have 2 identical carbines, which would be about $2000 each with lights, BUIS' and RDS.

Than again...if money were no object I'd have 10!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    But...if money was no object, I would have 2 identical carbines, which would be about $2000 each with lights, BUIS' and RDS.

Than again...if money were no object I'd have 10!
    If money were no object, I could spend about $4-5k a rifle without even thinking!