Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 42

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Glock 42

A friend bought one, and after not getting it to function without having stove pipe type stoppages, he asked me to see if I could "fix" his Glock.
    None of my attempts worked. The ammo choice was not a factor. Obvious from the start was that the recoil spring weight was too high. Cases that did eject fell at my feet. When I called Glock, described the problem, and provided serial number, the csr offered to send a prepaid shipping label. Now Glock has it. Serial prefix is AASU. Glock shipped this pistol to a distributor in March, 2014. I was asked about bullet grain weight. I had used S&B which has a 92 gr bullet.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Sounds like an early production batch. Some of the earlier ones that came out before July had some issues. Not the first I've heard of this

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    There's a huge 200+ page thread on the big Glock forum about people's past and current experiences on the G42. Most of the talked about issues from actual owners have been feeding relating and are still plaguing current test fired guns. There is not a serial number prefix or test fire date that is safe or problem free. It's really hit or miss at this point.
    I lucked out and got one that did not have feeding or extraction/ejection issues. I have 456 rounds in mine and the only thing I encountered early on ( < 100 rounds) was a premature slide lock on a loaded mag. Could have been anything..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    99% of most G42 issues are shooter induced malfunctions. Any input on the slide will cause a feed issue, slide stop lever issue etc.. It's a small gun, more sensitive to grip issues. Same thing with the G36. Actual issues with either of those models are FAR from hit or miss.
    I'm a lead farmer motherf**ker! - Kurt Lazarus

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post
    99% of most G42 issues are shooter induced malfunctions. Any input on the slide will cause a feed issue, slide stop lever issue etc.. It's a small gun, more sensitive to grip issues. Same thing with the G36. Actual issues with either of those models are FAR from hit or miss.
    Not to be taken the wrong way but do you own a G42? A majority of the feeding issues on the G42 are nowhere near shooter induced. Glock has been trying to fix the issue. Feed ramps have been altered as well and some people are reporting bulged casings. I know forum owners are a small sample but they are surely sending their G42 back and forth to Glock. I'm pretty positive they let others shoot their gun with the same results.
    There have been 2 frame revisions and one slide stop revision to date. Also there are 3 mag versions out there. Shooter induced, I think not.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1516100
    That link is the large one that is on going. There are good reports and bad reports and updates on G42 repairs. It's LONG but worth it if you're on the fence about owning one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 021411 View Post
    Not to be taken the wrong way but do you own a G42? A majority of the feeding issues on the G42 are nowhere near shooter induced. Glock has been trying to fix the issue. Feed ramps have been altered as well and some people are reporting bulged casings. I know forum owners are a small sample but they are surely sending their G42 back and forth to Glock. I'm pretty positive they let others shoot their gun with the same results.
    There have been 2 frame revisions and one slide stop revision to date. Also there are 3 mag versions out there. Shooter induced, I think not.
    Well yes I have a G42. Do you know that there are parts revisions by every manufacturer for most every gun made? Look on any S&W revolver frame. Glock still produces revisions for G17's and every other model. Most guns don't need them, but they never stop updating processes and parts. The Glock 9mm magazine follower is now on #6. The .40 mag followers are #9. I've shot more than my share of G42's and they run. I have one of the first G42's shipped with the original magazines that runs with no issues. Does it like some ammo over other. Yep, but that can be said with most guns out there. Also, with most any small gun you pretty much have to alter how you shoot them. Watch Jerry Miculek's video.

Oh yeah, Using GLock Talk as a reference is hardly what I would consider reliable information. One should take those threads with a serious grain of salt. Just sayin'
    I'm a lead farmer motherf**ker! - Kurt Lazarus

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonaise View Post

Oh yeah, Using GLock Talk as a reference is hardly what I would consider reliable information. One should take those threads with a serious grain of salt. Just sayin'
    Agreed, but the typical criticism of enthusiast forums is they ignore/down play problems, not claim problems that don't exist. Just sayin'.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by brushy bill View Post
    Agreed, but the typical criticism of enthusiast forums is they ignore/down play problems, not claim problems that don't exist. Just sayin'.
    Some bubblegum forums have probably 30% or greater portions of their membership that either aren't old enough to own a gun or have never even touched a gun in their lives and their entire experience is reading gun forums and playing COD. Another 20%+ are just liars who don't actually own the guns they are talking about and have a vendetta against certain manufacturers and will echo chamber any known fault of that manufacturer. Another 10%+ of them own the guns but never actually shoot them because they don't want to waste money on ammunition that could be used to buy another gun to put in the safe and admire.

There is another small portion of the population that actually has 2 different accounts and will literally argue with themselves about things.

I am not even going to go into the aftermarket astro-turfing accounts.

There are probably less than 10% of the people of certain forums that should be taken as even remotely reliable and if you are a shooter, you will be able to figure out who they are.

This forum has a higher number of reliable members but even then, there are a not insignificant percentage who live in our Mom's basement and read gun magazines/forums and know everything about guns without ever actually owning or shooting them at all.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't own a Glock 42, but I had a chance to shoot one. I installed sights on a Glock 42 for a friend who purchased his last fall. After I got the sights zeroed I fired some rounds from contact distance to 25 meters. It functioned flawlessly and was surprisingly accurate for a small pistol. It's accuracy rivaled that of my Walther PPK at 25 meters.

The owner of the Glock 42 I worked on is a cheap skate (PG version) and he will pinch a penny until Abraham Lincoln screams uncle. He shoots the cheapest ammunition he can find. To date, he has shot over 500 rounds without any issues.

I gather from post #2 that changes were made in July 2014. Does anyone know what changes were made?

Once the OP gets the G42 back from Glock, I would be interested to know what parts were replaced.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-19-15 at 09:36.
    Train 2 Win

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast