Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: M4 configurations in "American Sniper"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mrvip27 View Post
    Same in my theater. It was quite a feeling.
    Which did you guys like more, American Sniper or Lone Survivor?

I personally preferred the latter... it was more emotional and seemed better put together. And Mark Wahlberg is

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbaroy View Post
    Which did you guys like more, American Sniper or Lone Survivor?

I personally preferred the latter... it was more emotional and seemed better put together. And Mark Wahlberg is
    Pure story telling/reflection: American Sniper
    Movie experience/overall film: Lone Survivor

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Perhaps the fact that I watched Lone Survivor less than a month after coming home from Afghanistan played into it, where as it has been little over seven years since I was in Iraq, but I found Lone Survivor to be harder on the nerves/emotions than American Sniper. I found myself having to keep in mind that it was just a movie and to look for various flaws in the movie to keep from having to leave the theater for Lone Survivor, and my Afghanistan deployment was about the easiest going outside the wire deployment possible. Both were powerful movies none the less.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    The movie needed more m110 IMO lol.

Also, it rekindled my list for a GAP Gladius as well. Mmmmm
    I was actually a Mk11 Mod 0. The Mk11 Mod 0 has a removable suppressor very much like the M110, but the weapons do vary a little bit in appearance. Here are the differences:

The rail system used: the KAC Free Floated RAS on the Mk 11 is replaced by a URX modular rail system with integral folding front 600-meter back-up iron sight.

The M110 buttstock: fixed, though the buttplate is adjustable for length of pull to match user preferences. Adjustment can be made without tools via a notched hand-tightened knob on the right-hand side of the stock. This feature was added during the change from XM110 to M110. The fixed buttstock also features integral quick-detachable sling swivel sockets located on each side of the stock near the rear of the lower receiver.

The addition of a flash hider to the barrel of the M110, which also necessitates a modified QD Suppressor unit similar to that on the Mk 11.

The M110's use of KAC's one-piece 30 mm scope mount instead of two separate scope rings.

I have an early KAC SR-25 Match with the Obermeyer barrel that was converted to the Mk11 Mod 0 by Knight's Armament. They are excellent rifles.

"A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Mk11s, Mk12s, Mk13, Mk18s, Mk48 and the M3 84mm Carl G got some air time. Ok, the Carl G was just on the white board I liked the fact that the vehicles showed the nature progression in upgrade/advancement. From unarmored, local steel added, uparmored and finally to MRAPs on his final tour.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Combat_Diver View Post
    Mk11s, Mk12s, Mk13, Mk18s, Mk48 and the M3 84mm Carl G got some air time. Ok, the Carl G was just on the white board I liked the fact that the vehicles showed the nature progression in upgrade/advancement. From unarmored, local steel added, uparmored and finally to MRAPs on his final tour.

CD
    I noticed this as well. I also noticed other equipment evolutions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I'm in a normal unit and we can put vertical grips and our own slings, and our own stock as long as we don't lose the original , here's mine as it sits now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Haven't seen it yet, but this should help.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/American_Sniper
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sinlessorrow View Post
    Haven't seen it yet, but this should help.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/American_Sniper
    I thought Chris mentioned in his book that the 300WSM was his favorite caliber?
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The movie was really equal parts corny and awesome for me.

The worst part by far was the fight on the rooftop. A Navy SEAL, one of the most decorated snipers in history with ~6 yrs of combat experience across 4 deployments gets in the middle of an incredibly intense firefight where they're out numbered and getting shot up pretty bad … and what does he do? Sets his M4 down on the ground, walks away from it, calls his wife on an unsecured sat phone, and starts bawling about how he wants to come home. Uh huh. That really bugged me. Depicting this guy as someone who would rather be crying on a phone watching his buddies get shot up instead of getting in the fight. I dunno. I know it's hollywood, but still. That really irked me.

In terms of the weapons accuracy, at least for his, they did a pretty great job.

1. His "Mk 18", or more correctly his CQBR on an M4 was depicted really well. They had just about everything correct on it including the right optics mount. One incredible point of accuracy/detail they got right, that blew me away, was that during his first and second deployments in the film he had a PEQ-2 hanging off of it. And then for his 3rd and 4th, it was upgraded to a PEQ-15. I couldn't believe that so much detail got paid attention to there. Really outstanding. The one bad part is that the actual gun was a 14.5" with a fake Knights suppressor over the end of the barrel (instead of using an actual 10.3" URG with real suppressor) so during the night scenes when he'd be firing there'd be like a 10 foot fireball coming out of the end of it. But other than that, they did a pretty good job with it.

2. The Mk 11 only made a couple of appearances, but it was good to see it show up every once in awhile. If I recall correctly he did mention in the book that he much preferred his .300 but there were a couple notable firefights where he used the Mk 11 and so it was cool to see it make an appearance.

3. The Mk 12s in the film were definitely the same Mk 12s used in Lone Survivor. My guess is we'll see them pop up in military movies from here on out. High Caliber Sales built the guns for Lone Survivor but the actual SEALs that were helping with the movie painted them. These were the same guns but repainted again for American Sniper. Again, another thing that bugged me here - the Mk 12s showed up in the scene where he was supposedly learning how to shoot long distance. But of course they were on a 100yd range and he was hitting some 5 feet to the left off in the berm. But then of course he nails some random snake with pinpoint accuracy 2 seconds later. Just so cheesy - but I get it, it's probably hard to depict actual precision shooting in a movie in which the general public would just get it and still seem dramatic. But 5ft misses at 100yd? Grrr…

Overall I felt the script got really corny in a couple places and was bugged by all the dramatizations they felt were necessary. But I kinda knew this was going to happen with Eastwood directing. But they still did a pretty good job, and my experience was the same, that everyone in the theater just sat there, didn't say a word, and then walked out. So it obviously had the effect it was going for on people. It's been shattering some pretty awesome box office records so it's nice to know that they story is getting out there to the mass public.
    Last edited by TinyCrumb; 01-23-15 at 11:50.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast