Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield Champion recoil spring selection

Feedback Score

Springfield Champion recoil spring selection

I have a custom (no, really) Springfield Champion slide (4 in. barrel) on a steel Springfield lower. The slide has been fitted with an old school coned, flanged barrel, along with the usual reverse spring plug. When the gun gets dirty, it has difficulty returning fully into battery and depending on how dirty it is, I may have to push the slide forward with my thumb, perhaps a 1/4 inch or so. At this point, the recoil spring feels really weak, totally sacked. It takes practically no effort to push the slide forward, so I believe the issue is likely my spring rate, which is 22 lbs, and is an ISMI spring. I do not run a buffer in the gun. My next step seems to be to replace the 22 lb spring with a 24 lb, which seems strange because I would think the 22 lb spring should be able to do the job. It appears to me that recoil spring weights need to go up as slide length and weight go down. I have a low round count 22 lb ISMI spring in the gun (as mentioned before), and am using Commander length springs that I cut down slightly to fit the shorter barrel. Full length Commander springs will stack in my 4 inch gun, and that of course is likely to damage the gun. I cut Commander springs down 1.2 coil at a time until the slide will lock back with the slide lock/release (whatever). Then I remove one extra coil for safety.

Am I going about this correctly? There are no recoil springs offered specifically for this particular gun. Since I need to re-examine the recoil spring weight, I thought I'd re-examine everything while I'm at it.

Thanks!
    Bob
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    How many rounds do you have through the gun with that spring? Standard round wire recoil springs are good for about 2000-3000 rounds on a 5" gun. When you shorten the slide, the spring life is reduced dramatically. You should probably change your recoil spring every 1000 rounds, if not more. Your gun's recoil spring more than likely needs to be changed. Additionally, stick with 4" recoil springs instead of cutting commander length ones. Try calling Springfield Armory for the correct recoil spring. Or you can go to the following links and order them from Wilson Combat.

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Recoil-S...ctinfo/10SC20/
    http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Recoil-S...ctinfo/10SC22/

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I was under the impression that shorter 1911s benefit from flat wire springs. That may help as well.

Feedback Score
    At this point, the spring in it has perhaps 200 rounds on it. Being a custom gun, I was unaware that there had actually been a 4 inch factory gun. I see that Kimber offered a 4 inch as well. I just want the gun to run for me. All my other 1911s do...
    Last edited by anachronism; 01-23-15 at 09:50.
    “Detached Reflection Cannot Be Demanded in the Presence of an Uplifted Knife” ~ Brown v. United States (1921)

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    At this point, the spring in it has perhaps 200 rounds on it. Being a custom gun, I was unaware that there had actually been a 4 inch factory gun. I see that Kimber offered a 4 inch as well. I just want the gun to run for me. All my other 1911s do...
    Order a spring from Wilson Combat. The Professionals and Bill Wilson Carry are both 4" slides

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Recoil-Springs/products/89/
    Last edited by hk_shootr; 01-23-15 at 15:30.
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    1911-2.jpgI do have two 22 lb springs coming from Brownells. They're a bitch to find the first time. Nobody seems to offer a 24 lb spring. I guess Sherlock Holmes would call that a "clue". The old girls not a "true" Champion, but a full-sized 1911 with a Compact upper.

Thank you all!
    Last edited by anachronism; 01-24-15 at 14:18.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The Champion I used to own had a captured dual spring set up. Maybe yours needs that as well?

Feedback Score
    It wouldn't surprise me at all. I'll try the proper 22 in springs, then look it that direction if needed. Thanks for the information!

Feedback Score
    The proper spring makes all the difference in the world. I don't know if my old spring simply sacked, or what the deal was, but this is much better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good to hear. What did you end up buying?

ETA: I'm guessing you ended up with a 22lb spring.
    Last edited by Timbonez; 01-28-15 at 20:38.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast