Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best hunting weapon light

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Best hunting weapon light

I'm looking for a rifle weapon light to use for hunting at night. I'd like the tightest longest throwing beam possible. I would like a green light. I'm looking at the tlr1 hp game spotter right now. Any other options out there?

Feedback Score
    If your main criteria is longest throwing green light then you might want to look into the Night Master Green from OSTS (OneStopThrowShop.) While it doesn't come with a built in mount and is at least twice as heavy as the TLR-1 GS it does offer ~90,000 candela to the Streamlight's 31,000. If the Night Master is a bit too extreme then I know Armytek makes a green version of their Predator light but it is multimode if that happens to be a deal breaker.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    i have a white light tlr1 hp. I use it for spotting critters. it works really well, the throw is very useful. the thing is large and unwieldy though.

Feedback Score
    For the money you could try this Cree light first. It's gotten good reviews from night time AR game hunters.

http://www.lightmalls.com/uniquefire...hlight-1-18650
    Rascal

"In every generation there are those who want to rule well - but they mean to rule. They promise to be good masters - but they mean to be masters." — Daniel Webster

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I put a Streamlight Protac HL3 on the 6.8 I use to spot coyotes off the back deck. I can reach out 100+ with it reliably. It's not green but you could probably slap a filter on it...

Feedback Score
    Most white LED's have a relatively poor spectral power distribution when it comes to certain filters - particularly red and, to a slightly lesser extent, green. For example, the cool white Cree XM-L2 found in many new lights (including Streamlight's HL3,) only has a relative radiant power of about 30-40% in the green wavelength interval. If you decide to go with a white LED based light and a green filter you should be prepared for a substantial decrease in output.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lobstradomus View Post
    Most white LED's have a relatively poor spectral power distribution when it comes to certain filters - particularly red and, to a slightly lesser extent, green. For example, the cool white Cree XM-L2 found in many new lights (including Streamlight's HL3,) only has a relative radiant power of about 30-40% in the green wavelength interval. If you decide to go with a white LED based light and a green filter you should be prepared for a substantial decrease in output.
    That's interesting and something I did not know. Guess I'll get a good hands on comparison since this thread and the fact they were only $5 inspired me to order a red filter today.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    That's interesting and something I did not know. Guess I'll get a good hands on comparison since this thread and the fact they were only $5 inspired me to order a red filter today.
    Yaya, it's pretty wicked how much output they lose

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nova3930 View Post
    Total losses in output depends on both the LED and the filter. Here is the XM-L2 spectral distribution graph I referenced before along with a visible light spectrum added at the bottom, most lights will be using the 5000K-83000K CCT (aka Cool White) LED's:

Green light is generally around 510-560 nanometers in wavelength, red runs from around 640nm to about 700nm.

Unfortunately most filters will not allow the entire range to pass through -in fact, even at it's peak designed wavelength most decent filters only let through about 85% of the light IIRC. The only saving grace for using a filter on something like the XM-L2 is its frankly beastly luminous flux; of course then you run into the issues of surface brightness and viewing angle which are working against you when trying to collimate that light into a reasonably tight beam for spotting/hunting.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Marriage is a good institution, considering you're ready for one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast