Thread: Multitools- Looking For Another Option

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)

Multitools- Looking For Another Option

So I got a Leatherman MUT a while back.
    I can't honestly say I'm sold. It's got some features that I like, and others that, frankly, I could do without. Also some things that really annoy me, like the pocket clip that is always in the way, and you can't take it off....
    It also comes across as very "jack of all master of none" in regards to what it can do- it has *some* weapon related tools, but not enough to be worth it, and after that it can't do enough "other" stuff to make the weapon tools worth the weight.
    Which is considerable... thing weighs .6 of a pound by itself, without any other things (like extra bits) that might actually make it useful...

So I've been looking into multitools that can "do" more one way or the other than this thing. I've got some ideas (listed below), but would recommend other options.
    >Either I've got to go lighter with the multitool, or it needs to have more use to compensate for the weight.
    >I'm not really sure I care either way if it has weapon-related tools. I run an AR with an RDS. I keep most of what I need to fix stuff in the pistol grip. Not like I'll be replacing a barrel with this thing...
    >Also, a black finish option would be a huge plus. Never liked a bare metal/silver finish.

Current options;

Multitasker- go all out weapon tools, and forget everything else.
    Cons- can't do anything besides fix weapons, expensive, heavy

Leatherman Charge ALX- lots of "do-all" options, seems to get pretty good reviews, comes in black.
    Cons- expensive, still heavy

Leatherman New Wave- looks like a great "bang for buck" tool, plenty of tool options, comes in black, decent price
    Cons- not quite as many options as the Charge ALX, Not as heavy as the Charge, but still hefty.

I see plenty of guys here with multitools on their kit.
    Thoughts on the above?
    Other options?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    For MTs, the one I prefer and have is the SwissTool Spirit (STS @ 7.3 Ounces) which also comes in Black Oxidized finish. There's also MTs from SOG (SOG Paratool @ 7 Ounces) that may fit one's intended uses. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Check out the multitasker edc2
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CLHC View Post
    For MTs, the one I prefer and have is the SwissTool Spirit (STS @ 7.3 Ounces) which also comes in Black Oxidized finish.
    the STS is one of my favourite MTs. light weight and not as bulky as others. also, it has a practical array of tools.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quick update;

I decided on a Wave (for now) as I wanted a fullsize tool but still in the standard "fold-open" configuration, and the weight reduction Vs. the MUT is still enough to be worth it. Found one for a little cheaper than the Spirit generally runs as well, so I figure I'll run it and see what happens.
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    I have a Leatherman New Wave in black that I purchased nearly a year ago, I use it every day at work. The only thing I don't like about it is the sheath that it comes with (some nylon POS), so I ordered a Leatherman Crunch sheath for it. Fits the Wave perfectly and holds up well:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q9GG80

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have had my Leatherman Wave since 2003 and I have been very happy with it. I also have a couple of Gerbers because I miss the one handed opening capability--something the Wave does not do well.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise