Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Spyderco Reverse Fixed Blade

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    They are both live blades. They are trying to show that the grips may be reversed by the user for a forward grip if so desired.
    Ah, one looks dull.

Owell, they should probably get on that since a fixed blade aint worth shit without a trainer.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo_Man View Post
    Ah, one looks dull.

Owell, they should probably get on that since a fixed blade aint worth shit without a trainer.
    Spyderco has been pretty good about offering trainers for other designs. Maybe it will be available in time. They do sell a Pikal trainer for their "broken" version.

http://www.knifehog.com/spyderco-p-k...FWIV7AodXDcAfQ

I'm very interested in this new fixed blade version. A good friend who has formal training on the subject keeps telling me how effective it is as a system. Most reverse edge blades are from custom makers and therefore at a price point I struggle with until I decide if it's for me.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sadmin View Post
    I agree with you here. I do like the extended handle on these as opposed to the egg shape of the clinch pick. It's also nice for me since I cringe at the price tags on some of other knives that are essentially for poking holes in someone's face. I don't care about high quality steel for this role. You have some damn fine knives though Sir, I always look forward to your FS threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks buddy. If FS means for sale, yeah, I can't afford one without selling another sometimes as my eyes are bigger than my wallet.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Spyderco has indeed been very good about offering trainers for their "combatives" knives (or maybe people choose them for combatives BECAUSE they have trainers.) Either way, I'd be shocked if a trainer isn't offered before too long.

As far as reverse edge usage and methodology, there are a few major advantages (in my opinion). When used right, specifically for unattached striking, RE hits REALLY hard... A lot harder than forward grip. At the extension of the strike, it lands at a really sneaky angle. Finally, and IMO most importantly, it allows you to keep your hands up in front of your face for defense without the risk of stabbing yourself in the face if you do block an incoming strike.

In terms of RE being overblown... It just depends. A lot of guys carry knives specifically for defensive purposes. For them it may make sense to have a purpose built knife. You CAN hold most knives with a RE grip, but it MIGHT not be as fitting, and this potentially not as secure as a grip specifically designed for that grip.

Similar idea goes with the quality of the knife itself. It's easy to say carrying a knife just to poke holes in someone isn't worth spending money on quality... Well many feel that a defensive knife, like a gun, ISN'T where you want to skimp. Those people want the absolute best performance possible and want to leave as little at risk as possible.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Agree on the choosing quality issue. If you pick a standard knife that is well suited for carry and defense and can be carried in pikal grip, it is no worse suited than a reverse grip and can be used in forward grip much better.
    Your hands should be up in front no matter what and the shape of the knife or grip doesn't change that principle.
    No doubt reverse grip has its advantages. Sneaky strikes maybe but ripping pulling and tearing is their main plusses.
    Negatives are shorter reach which if you want to get a longer reach without being hit back is a negative.

I also don't agree that a trainer that matches the exact shape of the knife you are using is an absolute need at all. I know of someone that teaches using a hard foam rubber, nylon wrapped fake knife or training knife. It isn't a replica of any knife. I trust his abilities and knowledge whole heartedly and wouldn't want to fight him with 5 of my friends.
    Last edited by newyork; 02-01-15 at 10:23.
    "Enlighten the people generally, and tyranny and oppressions of body and mind will vanish like evil spirits at the dawn of day."

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Exactly how do you hold a knife forward grip, have it in front of your face, and not risk stabbing yourself upon getting hit? I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely asking. As I play with a pen at work I can't find a method that avoids self stabbing, gives me a decent guard, and is in a good position to strike.

I should have clarified that my post was specifically regarding knife jabs in terms of the sneaky angle. In my experience, with properly executed knife jabs, reach is the same. That surprised me greatly because I thought for sure FG would be further. If there is an advantage in reach for one or the other, I was unable to find it.
    Owner of Aridus Industries. Creator of the Q-DC, CROM, ASA, and other fun shotgun things.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    If using a pivot (like a boxer pivots his lead foot), depending on how much you pivot, with knife I lead hand in forward grip, the reach is much farther than in reverse grip.

Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

I have my share of Spyderco folders, but why a thumb whole on a fixed blade?
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's literally their trademark... While it started as a functionality design, it's now as much a branding feature as anything. That's my guess at least.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderMan2k4 View Post
    It's literally their trademark... While it started as a functionality design, it's now as much a branding feature as anything. That's my guess at least.
    Agreed.

Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast