Thread: Gettting the right torque with the Borka tool

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Gettting the right torque with the Borka tool

I’m not a big stickler for adhering to torque specs in the most exacting way possible. I may be fooling myself but after a lifetime of working on motorcycles, guns, and all manner of things screwed-together, I feel like I can get where I need to be without carrying a set of torque wrenches in a dual shoulder rig. But when trying to wring the last drop of accuracy from a Remington 700 a while back, and reading from multiple sources the importance of a precise 65 inch-pounds of torque for the action screws, I got the Borka set below.

It’s a clever design, made to cam-over when a certain level or torque is attained. By spacing the sockets at different distances from the pivot / break-over point, different torque values can be had.

My personal torque spec for AR15 carrier key screws is “pretty tight, almost as tight as you can, with a short-leg hex key”. But I had the Borka out for something else yesterday when I needed to put a new carrier key on, so I decided to test myself against the Borka. My method actually was very close to the torque spec of these screws, which depending upon your source, is 48 inch pounds on up to I think 52.

Here’s what the set looks like. I’ve had it for probably 4-5 years now and don’t remember what I paid for it but they are available from Manson Precision Reamers: http://www.mansonreamers.com

…and how it’s used. Put the appropriate tool into the appropriate hex cutout. Here I’ve put it into the one for 50 inch-pounds (note that the "50" is etched on the side toward the work). Normally of course I'd be using two hands but somebody's gotta run the camera. Tighten until the handle “breaks over”. If you put the tool in from the side visible in this pic you get 21 inch pounds, by virtue of the fact that the break-over is occurring in the other direction, which has a lower break-over effort.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Neat thread! I always enjoy learning about how things are built and the tools used in the process.

Feedback Score
    The current Colt factory torque spec for carrier key screws is 50-58 inch pounds, Ned. But, I like your experienced "feel" method and looks like it gets you in spec with or without the torque wrench.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have been contemplating purchasing a smaller inch-lb torque wrench and haven't seen one of these before. How well does it work on slot head action screws usually found on bolt action rifles? Does it work it's way out of the slot as pressure is applied or does it stay put?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I really adore my Borka. Been using them for several years now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Thanks Wayne. I always wondered why they went so much tighter than the industry standard, but-- I reckon it works.

T2C, I don't think I ever used mine on slotted screws but I don't think it would be a problem.

Feedback Score
    How does the accuracy of something like this compare to an actual adjustable torque driver with a certificate of calibration? The design of this Borka tool is smart. But an adjustable driver is certainly more versatile. I got a German-made Wiha driver. Maybe not as portable or compact as the Borka, but it's great for a bench. I wonder how accurate both are. I think Wiha says accurate to within +/- 6%. So for example, if you're torqueing to 40 in/lbs, that would be 37.6 - 42.4 in/lbs.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 01-29-15 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Borka is + or - 4%

Top Right-hand corner: http://www.shooterstools.com/pdf/201...er%20guide.pdf

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've got the same kit and I also bought a fixed 62in pound Borka for the SCARs. I really like the Borka and I have used it on scope mounts, rail attachment screws, and other non-gun stuff. As far as the slotted screws go, the most important thing for getting a good result is the quality of the bits. For slotted screws I use bits from a really old Brownnell's slotted set with a bunch of slotted bits that are very sharp and hard. The bit has to fit the slot tightly.

I like the size of Borka tool also, it doesn't take up much room.