Thread: A Work in Progress: Mounting a Light to a Slim Line Handguard

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

A Work in Progress: Mounting a Light to a Slim Line Handguard

I've decided to start a new thread as to not hijack another

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAggie2005 View Post
    Pic? I've recently rigged up a SL handguard, and now I'm trying to figure my light mount options. Ideas would be appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by MPchinadoll View Post
    I would like to see a picture of your slimline handguard with the rail mounted. That sounds pretty cool
    This is just a rough prototype and is still a work in progress. But as requested, I'l share what I have so far. I wanted to mount my light in the 12 o'clock position on my 10.5 inch Wolf Pup but to do so with a bolt on rail section put the light too high and it obscured nearly the entire lower half of the FOV of the Aimpoint. I've been trying to figure out a way to lower the light. I found a section of plastic M-Lok rail at the local Cabella's and figured why not? While aluminum would be more durable for this application, plastic is cheaper and easier to file. If I can get this to work, I'll get an aluminum section.

A few quick photos I snapped with the cell phone-
    Mounting the rail outside the handguard set the light too high, so I wondered how it would work if I mounted the railed section inside of it. I had to trim the sides and top of the rail to get it to fit the inside contours and clear the gas block and gas tube

Here's the light mounted to the rail. I didn't take any photos of the naked rail

Here's a shot looking through the Aimpoint. The light intrudes more than I would have liked but it sits much lower than it would if the rail were mounted on top

It's not perfect, with the trimming required to get the rail to fit, it's weakened. An aluminum rail should prove to be stronger. A strap to tie the rail to the wings of the handguards would go a long way to strengthen things
    Last edited by MistWolf; 01-29-15 at 21:46.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Great thinking outside the box setup. Just goes to show the modularity of Magpul's products. Would not work for me in any way since I have a FSB.