Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: is it a les baer? if so why doesn't it work?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Swstock View Post
    You beat me too it.
    i have already ordered a complete DD BCG from DSG for the sub $100 spare parts pistol so now it's a sub $300 spare parts pistol lol.

i only ask because i like to know. i am fond of saying "ignorance is a choice".

i'm pulling the key tonight and will let you guys know what i find out.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    An lastly, while Les Baer builds solid 1911's, they are NOT a tier 1 AR company. At one point in the past Les argued why it was OK to install castle nuts backwards....
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    An lastly, while Les Baer builds solid 1911's, they are NOT a tier 1 AR company. At one point in the past Les argued why it was OK to install castle nuts backwards....
    again i don't even remember where i got this carrier, i already ordered a DD bcg, this was going to go in a spare parts/fun pistol build that at this point runs like a champ with a DD bcg pulled from another of my guns.

I am only trying to solve the problem for the sake of knowledge.

i will post pics of the carrier key in a moment but it does not appear to have been leaking.

Feedback Score
    At one point and time a number of years ago, a company that makes bolt carriers made a "match" version that was purposely cut to a slightly larger OD for the guide rails on the carrier, with the idea that it had a more consistent lock-up shot-to-shot. Unfortunately, a lot of those carriers would have way too much friction drag inside the upper receiver raceway, and they performed exactly as the OP's does.

You could try polishing the guide rails, if it is in fact the only common denominator between several different uppers that function otherwise.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post
    At one point and time a number of years ago, a company that makes bolt carriers made a "match" version that was purposely cut to a slightly larger OD for the guide rails on the carrier, with the idea that it had a more consistent lock-up shot-to-shot. Unfortunately, a lot of those carriers would have way too much friction drag inside the upper receiver raceway, and they performed exactly as the OP's does.

You could try polishing the guide rails, if it is in fact the only common denominator between several different uppers that function otherwise.
    i think you may be right about friction causing the issue. the carrier has a lot of extra material in contact with the receiver. it passes every "test" i can think of. this last time out with the spare parts pistol it would eject casings regularly but failed to strip the next round every single time.

the barrel was a pull off that is pretty shot out and for a 10.5 pistol it is pretty dang over gassed. i hand drilled the gas port to .078 from .068 for a friend/customer who uses an Adams Arms piston set up that would not run/lock back on lower pressure ammo. we tried .072, .074, .076 and finally .078 before it would run properly. (i am less than impressed with the Adams Arms set up but it's not my firearm). using a direct gas system it is less than desirable lol.

Feedback Score

the shiny spots are.....you guessed it red lock tight lol. i find it funny because the screws were pretty dang easy to take out.

any way in these two pictures i have not wiped the surface clean at all. the carrier it self doesn't show much but you can clearly see a complete circle of carbon on the key, it does not appear to have been leaking.

i did wipe the oil off the carrier prier to disassembling it.
    Last edited by cemoulton; 01-26-15 at 22:19.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by LRRPF52 View Post

This is good information. Perhaps the OP could measure the rails with a caliper and compare the measurement to a working bolt carrier.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Nothing that a 7" Metabo couldn't Fix!

Feedback Score
    I'm just updating this for any who may have been curious.

I replaced the gas key, polished the rails and tried it in 4 different weapons (18" mid, 16" mid, 16" carbine, 10.5" carbine) with 5 different bolts and 6 different buffers (rifle, A5H2, carbine, H, H2, H3).

It still won't run. after further inspection it appears the hole that the bolt tail protrudes through is over sized by 0.005. The Les Baer measures 0.280 all my other carriers measure 0.275. I believe this to be the issue and have satisfied my curiosity. The offending carrier now resides in my pile of scrape metal

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    That is the strangest thing ever. I have to think about that some more...
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast