Thread: Fiber colors

Feedback Score

Fiber colors

So since around April or May I have been playing around with a green FO front sight having made the switch from red on my training gun. I feel like I have given it a fair try, however I can still see the red MUCH better than the green in "intermediate" lighting. In low light green gets the slight nod, but just barely. With a flashlight it's irrelevant. In bright sunlight, they are basically the same in terms of brightness, but I feel slower with the green.

However some of my kydex gear is a neon green which I can see in very limited light (for safety purposes; AIWB). This has me wondering if the green fiber optic rods (Dawson) are too dark or not the right shade of green? Is it possible to see green better for some things, but not the other? I'm not sure if it's just because I started pistol shooting with a red fiber (in addition to using an Aimpoint on carbines) and that my brain has been trained to pick up on red quicker or what.

I am red/green colorblind, but that still wouldn't explain why red stands out better for somethings, and not others.

Do Dawson green fibers run darker than other brands? Is the amount of light transmitted in a fiber optic sight some how different from that of say a laser or a stop light (similar to how the difference between a red or green red dot would be irrelevant)? Are there any other FO rods (or colors) that work even better?
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Since you stated you are color blind, at least partially then I don't know if I can help you much. I do use a green fiber optic rod on a .22lr pistol, a Buckmark and have not had any issue with it, other than it came loose. On two of my competition guns, shotguns, I run green fiber optic rods on them and have done so year around for over 8 years now, though I have broken a couple rods. I do have a little vial of several sizes and colors though I have only ever run the smallest green ones. Personally, I don't have an issue picking it up, though I am usually running colored shooting glasses and they do tint the background and are suppose to help make the target pop out for you to see. Now that said, the shooting I am doing I am not really using the fiber optic rod as an aiming point as much as a point of reference when mounting the gun. All I can tell you is try and see what works best for your eyes.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Now that said, the shooting I am doing I am not really using the fiber optic rod as an aiming point as much as a point of reference when mounting the gun. All I can tell you is try and see what works best for your eyes.
    Same. I use it as a visual reference for my index. It allows me to pick up the front sight faster when transitioning from a target to front sight focus.
    Dogma is failure - Ken Hackathorn

Only performance counts - Paul Sharp

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sounds like a question for Dawson. Nobody sees things the same as anyone else. Favorite Sights are like opinions. Everybody has one and they are all different.

I like green fiber on all my guns.

Feedback Score
    My eyes pick up green or yellow much better than red. Its all personal, but any of my guns get the fiber changed to green if I can