Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another noob question..

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I don't even like loading 9mm as it is. To hell with trimming the crap. As far as UZI/MAC brass. Just toss it. 9mm is too plentiful NOT to be selective on what you chose to load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Iam just starting with 9mm mark,i know its almost cheaper to buy than to reload,thats why iam starting with it and.223 when i mess it up its nothing to replace..lol ..

I didnt get coaght with my paints down when the ammo crashed happened, iam trying to make sure i dont when it happens again. And i think it will. I want to make sure i can produce ammo when the SHTF again.
    In the end i want to be able to load for 9mm,.45,6mm,30.06 .... Right now iam just trying to learn,i lost all my brass i been saving in a fire a couple years ago,at that time i didnt reload i just saved all my brass becouse i knew one day i would start.
    To this day when it rains hard i find melted .45 brass washing up outa the ground.I had 20 years worth but know i have to start over.When the lawn mower hits a rifle case you know it...
    When the fire happened i drove back into the worst fire in Texas history to get my guns, ammo and dog out,my place went up 2 hours after i left,we lost over 1700,,if i woulda stayed to get anything else i wouldnt be here, almost sounds like a country song..lol My guns My dog and my ammo..

Thats why i bought my wife the berreta 92 to replace her gun that got burned up i forgot to get it,it was a cheap .380 her dad gave her. Since shes shooting 9mm i bought a glock 19 to shoot with her. Ok and i wanted a glock.. I got her hooked on saltwater fishing years ago when we lived on the coast,now shes shooting and loves it..So umm no bitching..lol when i wana go. I used to shoot around 10k to 20k a year of everything pistol, rifle,.22 to magnum. And ive been shooting for over 40 years. I stopped about 7 years ago and iam gona start up again. Since i lost everything hobbie wise in the fire iam gona stick to 1 shooting, and now iam setting up to do it come hell or high water..lol
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 01-24-15 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Max. case length on a 9mm is .754. I haven't really ever seen data on the min, but keep in mind that the 9mm headspaces on the case mouth. So too short or too long can effect chambering. I would think that 4 to 5 thou would be sufficient.

Now for me I have never trimmed a 9mm case from the 1st one I loaded 35yrs ago to ones I loaded last Sat. and that's been 1000's. I do gauge all my pistol ammo and any that don't gauge are almost always because the rim got out of line with the body, length was never the problem. Straight wall pistol cases just don't grow.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is very confusing i bought the new hornady book today..it say trim to o.749 and try to use ne or little crimp becouse as u said it headspaces on the case mouth..

The speer says to trim to 0.744 and to taper crimp ...hmmm. I guess books have differnt specs. So i guess the ones trimmed to .744 will have less of a jump to the rifleing in the barrel..

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have never trimmed 9mmbrass. But I have never had a problem with 9mm brass stretching or lengthening from shooting it. I only trim rifle cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunhand View Post
    This is very confusing i bought the new hornady book today..it say trim to o.749 and try to use ne or little crimp becouse as u said it headspaces on the case mouth..

The speer says to trim to 0.744 and to taper crimp ...hmmm. I guess books have differnt specs. So i guess the ones trimmed to .744 will have less of a jump to the rifleing in the barrel..
    It is correct that a straight wall pistol case headspaces on the case mouth. Changing your trim length won't change bullet jump, but changing C.O.L. (Combined Overall Length) will.

It's good that you are paying attention to what you read in the reloading manuals, but I have never had to trim straight wall pistol cases. Some crimp is necessary to avoid bullet set back in a handgun. A bullet can set back from either recoil or while feeding from the magazine to the chamber. If the bullet sets back, it shortens C.O.L. and raises chamber pressure.
    Last edited by T2C; 01-25-15 at 00:11.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunhand View Post

I was looking in a Nosler book and didn't find anything on pistol case trimming, maybe I missed it. It's just been my (and the guys I shoot with) experience that case trimming for pistols is just not necessary. With the load I've been using lately I don't even use a crimp. No crimp made a huge difference in accuracy. You just have to experiment a bit.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    As others have said, I've never trimmed 9mm or 45acp brass. I also use only enough crimp to avoid bullet setback. I was lucky to have a friend help me set up my Dillon when I started reloading. I started with 45 then 223 and later 9mm.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12