Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which two and which one first?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    Random suggestion: Save your money up and buy a Wilson or Nighthawk 1911 in 9mm.

Best of all possible worlds. Or at least what I'd likely do if limited to 10 rounds and wanting a 9mm and a 1911 with a one gun/30 day limit.

Otherwise I'd look at a P220, P225, or H&K P7 - all in 9mm. I don't see a reason to buy something as bulky as a P226 when you're limited to 10 rounds, instead of the 18+1 that a P226 can easily hold.
    Unfortunately, neither brand has any 9mm 1911s in the roster.

I've tried the P226 and the P229. Never the P220. Besides bulk, is there any reason you prefer it?

Can't find the P7 on the roster.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by teutonicpolymer View Post
    Les Baer Premier II (on roster) or equivalent - I am pretty sure the Thunder Ranch is identical to a LB carry model except it says Thunder Ranch nd costs more

A used S&W pre-internal-lock pre-mim or a Ruger GP100 DA/SA revolver - Check online for guides on how to inspect a revolcer when buying, not all revolvers are equal
    I found a Thunder Ranch for $2100 from a LGS on sale. That seems like a great deal.

A revolver would be nice to get. You're probably right that I'l have to go used on that, so there's no rush.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Linea_de_Fuego View Post
    Condition 1 with a 1911 that has a good detent for the thumb safety with a good holster and there should be no problem. It is not an issue when you are familiar with the 1911 platform. You can look in CA for a used pistol and have more available to you than what may currently be on the roster. All the 1911's you noted are desirable examples that are nicer than other production guns without the extra attention.

If you like the Sig 226 then go with it.

Depending on what type of class you want to take will determine if the 1911 or the Sig 226 is better for the class.
    From an engineering standpoint, condition 1 is perfectly sound as you state. I just want to have an instructor show me the proper operation.

I'll be taking a one day Introduction to Tactical Handgun class from a local outfit followed up by a one day intermediate class the next month. These are courses at a local outdoor range by retired LE and military instructors. Beyond that, I'd like to go to a multi-day class at a more training focused facility, but haven't picked a place.

Regardless, I'd like to pick one gun and stick with it almost exclusively for at least a year. For the classes, I'll select one gun and stick with it for all the classes, with the other as a backup.

The driving force behind wanting to buy more than one at the moment is the infamous roster.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Use your local resources and talk to resident CA shooters about mags first. A lot of experienced people feel that 10 rounders may be less reliable than full sized ones. Often times 10 rounders are made by neutering full mags vs being purpose built.

If your purpose is to learn, I don't believe having two different systems is beneficial. Kevin has made a point about switching back and forth above. I would consider the priorities, aspirations, pros and cons of each, and choose what resonates the most to you. Sig 226 Extreme and Sig 220, or a pair of 1911s, one 9 mm and one 45. You get similar systems, variability of calibers in case of ammo shortages and purpose build mags at least for 45.

You should take your first class with a 9 mm gun.

Several friends that own California 10 round US made P226s haven't reported problems. You are right about the design change. It's certainly less than ideal from an engineering standpoint.

Trying to learn two at once would certainly be confusing. The plan is to pick one and stick with it through range time and classes for at least a year. Beyond initial testing to make sure it works, anything else I buy will go in the safe. The need to buy more than one is driven by the roster. Otherwise, I'd just focus on one. It's hard enough to pick one gun, let alone two.

Would you consider the USP 45 a good complement to the P226?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Buy something cheap and/or used and spend the difference on training.

MM
    There's a separate budget for training. I'll attend a few local tactical handgun classes, then some good dedicated training facility. I'll try someplace in Texas if possible.

Feedback Score
    I live in CA too. I recommend the CZ line of handguns is cost-effective, reliable, and accurate weapons. Thanks to CZ Custom and CGW, you can turn a bog standard CZ into a gun that would give any 1911 a run for its money.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Interesting question. I have a Baer TRS and am very happy with it, 2100 sounds a bit high, but I've had mine for a while and prices are probably different in CA. My first 1911 was a Springfield Loaded for under a grand. Never have had an issue with it for many years. I am a relatively 'late adopter' to the 9mm. I suggest you consider at a VP9. After swapping sights, I'm very very pleased with mine; nice trigger, well built and eats everything I put thru it. PPQ may be another suggestion - similar to the VP9 - I have both, but the nod goes to the HK. No experience on a Sig. Hope this helps.

PS I am reading some good things about the CZs too. Mike Pannone recently wrote an article, but I don't remember the gun rag it was in.
    Last edited by Ranger325; 01-24-15 at 08:06. Reason: more info
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Feedback Score
    Cannot get the VP9 in Cali anymore unless someone sells a used one that is already there which is rare.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I don't have any experience with the Sigs or any other DA/SA pistols. But, I do have experience with a few 1911's. I have a Baer Custom Carry, Dan Wesson PM7, Dan Wesson CBOB, and Nighthawk Talon. I got the Custom Carry because it had the same features without the logos and the higher price. I can shoot under 2" groups easily at 25 yds so I believe in their 3" at 50 yds guarantee. When it was new, the gun was incredibly tight. It now has about 8 thousand rounds through it and is still tight. I've been very happy with this gun. I shoot the Dan Wesson PM7 in USPSA and IDPA. The only thing I changed on it was the sights and adding a magwell. The CBOB is the gun that my daughters will fight over when I die. Incredibly accurate, easy to carry, and very dependable. The Nighthawk is a very well built gun and rivals Wilson in every way. It's more of a safe queen these days. You'll find lots of good info at 1911forum.com. If you have questions about one of these, I'll be glad to answer. Good luck
    BTW, $2,100 is about the msrp for the Thunder Ranch on Baer's website. I got mine years ago from a guy known as "crazy John" on the 1911 forum. Great guy to talk with and reasonable prices. I'm sure you can find his website through the 1911 forum.
    Last edited by Tigereye; 01-24-15 at 08:15. Reason: price

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by teutonicpolymer View Post
    Cannot get the VP9 in Cali anymore unless someone sells a used one that is already there which is rare.
    I stand corrected, didn't know that - thanks.
    Regards,
    Ranger325

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
    George Orwell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast