Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Horror Story: M&P 10 and S&W Customer Service

Feedback Score
    UPDATE: finally some good news.

To re-cap a little, in February, I was notified that S&W changed it's policy. While they still will not be selling spare parts for rifles, they will now be servicing damaged rifles that are not covered by warranty for a fee. They e-mailed me another return shipping label, and I sent my M&P 10 back to them one month ago to get a quote.

I got a letter in the mail from them today. They are quoting me $218 for a new barrel, $45 for labor, and $13 freight for a total of $276 to fix my rifle. I consider it a very reasonable price -- a hell of a lot better than buying a new $1100 rifle, like they originally wanted me to do. I called, gave them my credit card info, and told them to proceed. I requested that they return my damaged barrel, so I can get my low pro gas block and Troy FF barrel nut off of it, which are stuck on due to the barrel being bulged and split after the gas block.

I'm looking forward to getting this back. It sucks having good money tied up in a broken rifle for so long. At least some good came out of this whole shit show. If nothing else, it got S&W to change a very bad policy, and gave an option to people who were in my boat -- a broken rifle that is out of warranty with no ability to acquire spare parts or even to pay to have it fixed.

Now -- who wants an M&P 10 with a BRAND NEW BARREL?!?!?!?!?
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sell it. That is exactly what I would do. I read all the posts in this thread. I've never had any desire to own anything S&W except their wheel guns. I think it is a good lesson for anyone wondering why some rifles might cost more. Customer service is very important.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I must be bored with life. I read this thread tonight for the first time. My guess is Smith originally refused to replace the barrel because their policy was either replace weapon or do nothing. Doing nothing happened because the service dept did not know how to replace the barrel--maybe because the rifle had been manufactured in one location and the service dept was in another location. And available techs had not yet been trained to accomplish the task. Maybe there were none available. Eventually Smith came through but note that their first response was pay $1100 or have a nice paper weight. Was liability their concern? Not if they changed policy? To me it appears that assumptions were made about the op's intent and that these assumptions were not relevant to the issue, which S&W did resolve much later.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Any manufacturer is going to be reluctant to warranty a firearm that had work done to it that requires machine work, files or other metal cutting tools and I cannot blame them one bit. We cannot expect generous parts support for any new release firearm. I would not buy a first run of any firearm built by any manufacturer to avoid the type of issue the OP had with Smith & Wesson.

For the record, I am not a fan of Smith & Wesson rifles and semi-automatic pistols.
    Last edited by T2C; 06-11-15 at 14:04.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    The fact that I had drilled the gas port didn't enter into their decision not to warranty it. Neither did the fact that the rifle was bought used, or that I had put a different handguard on it. That decision was based solely on their determination that the damage was not due to a defect in workmanship or materials.

Also, the reason that they don't supply parts support isn't because this is a "new release" firearm... if you can call something that debuted in 2012 "new release"... it is a policy of theirs not to sell parts for any rifle. They won't sell you parts for something that has been out longer, like the M&P 15/22, either.
    "This motto may adorn their tombs
    (Let tyrants come and view):
    We rather seek these silent rooms
    Than live as slaves to you."

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by henschman View Post
    The fact that I had drilled the gas port didn't enter into their decision not to warranty it. Neither did the fact that the rifle was bought used, or that I had put a different handguard on it. That decision was based solely on their determination that the damage was not due to a defect in workmanship or materials.

Also, the reason that they don't supply parts support isn't because this is a "new release" firearm... if you can call something that debuted in 2012 "new release"... it is a policy of theirs not to sell parts for any rifle. They won't sell you parts for something that has been out longer, like the M&P 15/22, either.

I thought your rifle was purchased in 2014 and two years from release is not that long for a new product. If a particular manufacturer does not provide parts and customer support for their product I buy elsewhere. If parts are proprietary and there are no other sources for parts support, I purchase products elsewhere.

Re-barrel the rifle and sell it.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have personally had S&W repair two semi-auto handguns that I was not the first owner of. I don't think S&W even cares if you are the first owner at all, since they don't even ask. I found their CS to be top notch. OP, I'm glad they were able to get you sorted out for a reasonable fee.
    Life's a risk, enjoy the adventure - HOPLOETHOS

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789