Thread: Fenix UC35 Light

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

Fenix UC35 Light

ROE: Talk about this light, or an alternative light with nearly similar features. Otherwise, don't post about, "Buy a Surefire." without these features, and for $150 more

I know that other users don't get this pleasure, but I'm giving fair warning, I'll simply delete the stupidity. I'd like a high signal:noise ratio on this one.

Thanks.

Here is the light I am considering: http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-uc3...ed-flashlight/

If it craps the bed, I don't really care about the warranty, or where I have to send it -- I will just buy another one and replace the parts, or the whole thing, or buy a Quark replacement, or throw my old Quark in the truck.

I currently use a Quark Tactical QT2L-X, and like it. Just looking to add a new light that is rechargeable, or takes rechargeable batteries, and actually has some longevity to the battery life/charge. Pocket clip is a must. Pocket clip must allow for bezel down orientation. Do not want to get another charger setup, so the inline charging is a HUGE plus.

For comparison purposes, if another light is suggested, the light suggested should be capable of out shining, or out projecting this UC35 or the QT2L-X I currently use.

Thanks!!
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    This looks really interesting. Can it mount as a tactical light?

Feedback Score
    That Fenix definitely has some interesting features -the only other light I'm aware of that is truly comparable would probably be the Olight S30R Baton. A quick rundown of some of the differences between the Fenix and the Olight:

The Fenix is 23 grams lighter (99g vs 122g) but also 31mm longer (150mm vs 119mm)*
    The Fenix will throw farther (10kcd vs 6.4kcd) but puts out fewer lumens total (960lm vs 1000lm)
    The Fenix is waterproof to 2m (IPX-8) the Olight is rated only to 1m (IPX-7)
    They both offer 5 modes plus strobe, but the Fenix's low is 14 lumens vs the Olight's 1 lumen
    The Fenix comes with a 3200mah battery to Olight's 3400mah
    The Fenix plugs directly in to charge with a USB cable while the Olight makes use of a tail standing dock†

* The Olight is just barely larger than your FourSevens, the Fenix is an inch and a half longer.
    † The Olight has a fairly stout magnet in its tailcap (which could come in handy) which guides it onto a bespoke, micro-USB powered, charging base which also offers a powered USB port for charging another device simultaneously.

That concludes the fact portion, the following will just be my opinion/experience. The lumen difference is inconsequential -such a small difference will not be noticeable, same with battery capacity really. I really like a true sub to single lumen low mode -it is fantastic for when you don't want to ruin your night adapted vision (or wake up the girlfriend) -you already have it on your Quark so you probably already have an opinion on this as well. The differences in size, charging design, tailcap magnet, beam characteristics and such all depend on how you are going to use it. For close up usage, carrying around, working on cars, basic around the house chores and late night usage I would probably lean towards the Olight. For traveling, usage at further distances, work around water, or when long run times at a reasonable output are required I would give favor to the Fenix. Hope that helps.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Shivan, I will reach out to two members here that I think own this light, and ask them to pass on their thoughts. I had dinner with them tonight and we were discussing Fenix lights. (Scary, I know...) The micro USB charging ports were considered very practical by them, and they used them a lot.

I have two other Fenix lights, and have found them to be a very good value for the money. Both are running well after about two years of service.

I have also had good luck with the TK series Olights as mentioned earlier in the thread.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Hi Shivan, I have some experience with lights. I own a Fenix PD35, which is essentially the UC35 without the USB port. It pocket carries (bezel down) easily. The side switch that lights up, is an upgrade over the grey non-illuminated one on the PD35. We also have a Nitecore MH1A (1xAA or 1x14500) which has the USB recharging of a removable 14500.

The Fenix modes are useful, though there is not a huge amount of difference between High and Turbo. You'll also never hit strobe unless you want. It will remember the level it was at, when turned off and come back on at that level. The tail switch is a forward clicky, with momentary on, and a decent 'feel' to it.

The pocket clip is sturdy and does not move around on mine unless I deliberately move it. It makes the light sit well in the front pocket.

Runtime on a lower capacity 18650 (the only thing I use in this light by choice) is quite good. A higher cap battery should of course be better. I can only compare the Nitecore USB to the images of the Fenix one. I like the Nitecore better, in that it does not use a rubber plug to cover the port, but rather a metal ring that you unscrew to expose the port. The ring also has a rubber Oring gasket to seal the elements out of the port. My complaint about the Fenix system is based on experience with Garmin Edge rubber port plugs which do not fit well/stay in place after a bit of repeated use.

My Olight experience is limited to the i1EOS, a small 1xcr123 twisty light. While I use this light a lot, for moving around the house at night (clips easily to a nightshirt) it is too dissimilar to really give you a fair evaluation of the Olight series of lights. However, I have had this light for several years, and it is still running despite 3 kids in my house who constantly swipe my lights.

Fenix lights have better fit/finish that the Olights I have seen. They are also very durable in my experience. I still have an EARLY L1P 1xAA light that has been passed on to my oldest kid and it still works! That light is at least 5-7yrs old. My PD35 has been in EDC for about 18mo and looks new still.

Hope this helps.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Good information everyone, thanks.
    "I'm not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The... tactleneck! - Sterling Archer"
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important
    than one's fear. The timid presume it is lack of fear that allows the brave to act when the timid do not."

Feedback Score
    Hi Shivan,

If you end up getting this light, could you please post your impressions and some pictures? Would love to find out more from 1st hand experience!

Thanks!
    -Barb

Feedback Score
    I ordered one...it should be arriving today. Will let you know what I think.