Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M4 configurations in "American Sniper"

Feedback Score

M4 configurations in "American Sniper"

Just to get this out of the way, I saw the movie today and was very impressed from too many different standpoints to relate here.

Obviously I was interested in the weaponry, especially the M4s. It was my observation that configurations were all over the place, assuming this was a realistic depiction. There seemed to be no standardization of said M4s. Stocks, rails, optics, slings, magazines, finishes-you name it-were all over the place.

For you fellows that know, is this diversity realistic? And if so, how does it work? Are the troops allowed to customize their weapons from an armorer's menu at the government's expense? Or do they rather pay for these items themselves but are allowed to build their rifle as they see fit?

I realize I'm new here and I'm not trying to be flip about a serious subject. Hope it comes across that way.

Feedback Score
    90 (97%)
    I mostly saw with the SEALs suppressed Mk18's in use

The Marines had a mix of M16's and M4's
    JF Arms Company - Owner
    07/02 FFL/SOT

Sword & Shield Training Group - SSTG
    - Be the Sword & Shield for your community thru knowledge and skills.

----------------------
    EMT - Parkview DeKalb EMS

13 years of serving Northeast Indiana's citizens.
    ----------------------
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    There's a lot on this all over the web, if not here specifically. General rule of thumb - regular troops have little flexibility but SOF can more or less do whatever they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    One thing I did notice in Kyles Mk18 mod 0, was that to me the Aimpoint housing looked a little small, almost like a bad reproduction of a real Aimpoint, maybe it was just me but every time they showed it, it did not look right to me.

I damn near drooled when they showed a Dragunov in one scene.

If I'm not mistaken I even saw a few SR25s that made a few showings.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    For you fellows that know, is this diversity realistic? And if so, how does it work? Are the troops allowed to customize their weapons from an armorer's menu at the government's expense? Or do they rather pay for these items themselves but are allowed to build their rifle as they see fit?

As previously stated, SOF can pretty much do what they want. Speaking as someone who was in a conventional as f*** unit (heavy BCT), the general rule was you could make modifications IF:

1. It did not alter the function of the weapon.

2. It could be easily removed and replaced with the stock item when you redeployed.

Stocks and grips were commonly switched out from what I saw, as well as personal sling choices. Painting the rifle was a no-go, but we were wearing UCP so there really wasn't any point in the rifle being able to hide while you can't. Ultimately, a lot depends on how much your commander is willing to put up with.
    "We are told that the pen is mightier than the sword, but I know which of these weapons I would choose" - Sir Carton de Wiert, VC

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    One thing I did notice in Kyles Mk18 mod 0, was that to me the Aimpoint housing looked a little small, almost like a bad reproduction of a real Aimpoint, maybe it was just me but every time they showed it, it did not look right to me.

I damn near drooled when they showed a Dragunov in one scene.

If I'm not mistaken I even saw a few SR25s that made a few showings.
    I thought the same. It looked like Aimpoint's new Carbine Optic to me.

My question is why does he use a suppressor on his bolt gun the whole movie except for at the end? LOL no movie pew when you have to emphasize giving up your position.

Excellent movie!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post

My question is why does he use a suppressor on his bolt gun the whole movie except for at the end? LOL no movie pew when you have to emphasize giving up your position.

Excellent movie!
    I thought the same thing about the suppressor I think it was that trying to make that shot at that range it probably would have altered the velocity of the bullet too much having made that shot impossible.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JulyAZ View Post
    I thought the same thing about the suppressor I think it was that trying to make that shot at that range it probably would have altered the velocity of the bullet too much having made that shot impossible.
    Suppressors increase velocity though. And he should have had dope for the rifle with suppressor.

I wonder what the real reason was.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    I thought the same. It looked like Aimpoint's new Carbine Optic to me.

Excellent movie!
    If I can remember correctly, was he using the .338 at the end of the movie? If so, he says in his book apparently that for some reason he didn't have one for it...

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The movie needed more m110 IMO lol.

Also, it rekindled my list for a GAP Gladius as well. Mmmmm

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast